1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How can I create a wireless network with a wifi signal that is being broadcasted?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rose1, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rose1

rose1 Thread Starter

I just moved into an apartment where the landlord said I can share his internet connection with him. He has a wireless internet signal broadcasting from the 1st floor. I can get a signal just fine from the kitchen but when I go to the front rooms, the signal is very weak. I can't run a wire from his router to mine because that would involve drilling etc and I don't want to do that. Is there any way that I could capture his wireless signal and somehow feed it into the WAN port of my router so that I can have all 3 of my networked computers with internet all the time? One thing I was able to do was take my laptop to the kitchen (where the signal is the strongest), connect to his internet, and I went into the network part in the control panel and bridged the wireless adapter and the ethernet adapter on my computer. After doing that, I was able to connect my router to the ethernet port of my laptop and have internet for all the computers but the problem is that by doing that, I'd have to leave my laptop in the kitchen at all times. Is there an easier way?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You need a wireless bridge (or AP client), which is the way you had your laptop configured.

Often they are called a wireless access point or wireless ethernet converter, and you have to read the specs or manual to see if they operate in the desired mode. I have used an Airlink101 AP431W, for example, as a wireless bridge and it has worked fine.

3. avisitor

avisitor

What router do you have currently? Most WRT54G models (except v. 7) can run DD-WRT which allows them to do what you're looking for.

4. rose1

rose1 Thread Starter

I have a trentnet 452 wireless router

5. rose1

rose1 Thread Starter

I noticed when I connect my laptops ethernet port to the routers WAN port, I get a limited or no connectivity message. Do I need a cross over cable to connect it?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When Windows assigns an Automatic Private Internet Protocol Address (APIPA) to an ethernet connection because there was no Dhcp server response I think that it always gives that somewhat misleading message. If you were expecting to find a Dhcp server, it's a fatal error; if, as in this case, you are not expecting to find a Dhcp server, the message is meaningless.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759425

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice