1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How can I create disc space

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Pinaar, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pinaar

Pinaar Thread Starter

Hi,
    I'm running vista and my C drive is 5.07GB free of 49.5GB and my D drive 27.8GB free of 49.5GB I have an external drive of 500 GB and have backed up both drives to this. How can I empty the D drive as I have a copy on the external and free up space on the C drive. I'm not much of a techy so please keep it simple.

2. voodoochild16

voodoochild16

If you have installed these operating systems already, and haven't put anything else on them, then there isn't much you could delete to make them that much more free of space. IF you did copy stuff, then find some of that stuff that you can live without, and delete it, or copy it to your external hard drive and then delete it.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you have recovery disks or do you have a recovery image on one of the partitions on your hard drive? If the latter, changing partitions will cause you to lose access to recovery.

You can't "create" disk space. The only way to get more is a larger drive. You can rearrange partitions if they are juxtaposed and if that won't lead to problems.

4. Pinaar

Pinaar Thread Starter

Hi,
    I don't have discs for the OS it all came pre-installed I have made copies of both drives to the external drive.
    As I say I don't get too involved with why's and wherefore's of how the system works so don't get why I can't just copy the C drive and then scrub it. When the computer was new (4 years ago) all it had on the C drive was the OS and a few pre-installed factory programs is there not a way to copy the 4 years of stuff and then get back to that as delivered C Drive?
    Also as far as I know the D drive is just a partition for backup purposes, yesterday I copied that drive then opened it and deleted anything in there, then when I opened it said it was empty yet on the "my computer" screen it was still showing as half full. Even after restart.How can it be half full with nowt in it?

Just not confident with what it's safe to remove and what's not, don't want to remove something and find it contains needed program files that leave me up **** creek without a paddle.

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

I would be careful about that D drive, as it could be a recovery drive with an factory prebuilt Vista on it. Usually, there is a hotkey during boot up to launch the recovery process.

As for your C drive, yes you can just copy all the files you put there to the external HD and then delete them from C to reclaim space. However, you should only copy data files.

6. Pinaar

Pinaar Thread Starter

I think you are right it does have a hidden copy of factory settings on it, does that mean it can't be copied to the external drive? and if such a thing happened as that D drive was reformatted and wiped what would the consequences be?

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

If you wiped out that Windows restore image, then you won't be able to re-install Windows, unless you get a Windows install DVD from the laptop manufacturer. They usually have a small charge for it. If you go buy a Windows DVD, then you will need to download drivers from the manufacturer's site. The restore image partition comes preconfigured with all the right drivers.

Copying the restore image to another drive won't do any good, because your external drive is not configured to boot with that restore image.

8. Jason83

Jason83 Banned

To answer your original question you can create plenty of HDD space with THIS

9. voodoochild16

voodoochild16

What the heck is that? some kind of virus?. No one click on it. We're better off not clicking it unless Jason here can explain what it is and what it does.

10. Jason83

Jason83 Banned

SequoiaView - is an excellent utility to help you figure out what is taking up so much space on your hard drive.Also lets you delete it very easily! Virus far from it voodoochild16. :)
    I just used this program for the first time a couple of weeks ago.I was able to free up 37 gigabytes of space.I was ready to format,until I found this. I find it to be a useful program I wont ask someone to use something unless I know what it does/fully understand it/have used it on my own personal computer.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027884

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice