1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How can I delete amd64 folders - Losing Hard Drive space

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Masterkaga, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Masterkaga

Masterkaga Thread Starter

Hello, I'm a newbie here. I have a baffling problem with my PC.

Beforehand I would like to apologize for this post because I have been up all night fighting with my computer. If it comes out strange, then I'm sorry.

I started noticing that my hard drive space was vanishing. I checked my system restore files and they were fine. I checked my paging settings and they were low. I ran TreeSize to find where my space went and I found a file in the Windows folder named winsxs that was holding 15,000 small folders totaling 16.8GB (!).

I ran cCleaner and it didn't detect the batch of bad files. I ran Windows Disk Cleanup and it didn't delete them either.

I can't delete them manually either. If you try to, they say: "You need permission to perform this action. You require permission from TrustedInstaller to make changes to this folder." As far as I know TrustedInstaller is from Windows, right?

But I didn't trust that so I ran virus protection programs. I scanned with my McAfee, IoBit and Malwarebytes. They found very superficial things but nothing that looked too dangerous.

The 16,000 files say amd64 on them. Does anyone know what I can try to delete these files and regain my hard drive space?

P.S. I had a very, very strange episode where I was deleting programs that I didn't need and was shocked to see that "OpenOffice" program was taking up 45GBs of space ??? I deleted it and that space did NOT come back. It sounds like a registry error or ten.

I'm going to sleep. I look forward to reading your responses when I'm able. Thanks in advance.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You haven't provided any information on your computer, especially its hard drive, so please do the following:

Download and save the TSG System Information Utility (SysInfo.exe) file to the desktop.

After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.

Information about your computer will appear.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

------------------------------------------------------------

4. Masterkaga

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 810 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 5887 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 5450, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 938406 MB, Free - 2077 MB; Y: Total - 1887436 MB, Free - 3335 MB; Z: Total - 1887436 MB, Free - 593 MB;
    Motherboard: Gateway, RS780
    Antivirus: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, Updated and Enabled

Thanks for any help you can lend me.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You have a very serious free space problem. :eek:

The C: drive has a capacity of 916.41 GB and has only 2.02 GB of free space.

The Y: drive has a capacity of 1843.19 GB and has only 3.25 GB of free space.

The Z: drive has a capacity of 1843.19 GB and has only 599 MB of free space.

I'm going to assume C: is an internal 1 TB hard drive and Y and Z are external 2 TB hard drives.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even if your computer is loaded with movies, videos, music, photos, documents, etc., that shouldn't cause such a serious free space problem.

Are you using some sort of automated backup or cloning program?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. valis

valis Moderator

ye gods.

7. Masterkaga

ye Gods is right.

I have 2 hard drives. One is 1TB and that's the one that has a problem. Then I have a 4TB drive that I have partitioned into 2 (hence the exact amount of space). I do not have a backup running, but I do have a program on my computer called Acronis virtual drive. The program came bundled with the suite that runs the 4TB Seagate drive. As far as I know it is not running. I have never set it, I have never used it, I have checked all of the processes that run in the task manager and I've never seen it working. I do however see a lot of activity in my Windows sysWOW64 folder.

Seagate uses a program called DiscWizard to handle the extra large capacity drive. Believe me, I do not want to mess with that thing and risk my HD.

I checked my Windows updates and I tried to download something called Hotfix KB947821 System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems. It stalled and took three hours to install. Obviously something is wrong with that.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice