1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how can I dual boot 98 SE and XP?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by angelique01, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. angelique01

angelique01 Thread Starter

I want to put XP on D drive, 98 SE is already installed on C. I have a link to a site but it was with Windows 2000. Would like something more specific for Xp :)

2. bsop

bsop

3. angelique01

* Install your programs used by each operating system on the partition with that system. If you want your programs to run with multiple operating systems, you need to install separate copies of the programs in each of the operating system partitions.

that is the part that I am confussed about. I would like to run all my programs on both operating systems. Right now I have them on seperate partition from Windows 98 SE (on the E drive). This tells me I need to have them on the same partition as the OS :confused: So any help in this department would be good.

Do I install XP when booting up? Do I need the booting software they are talking about?

4. ratchet

ratchet

If you are talking about MS Office and such, you must install it on each partition.

You don't need any thing except the XP CD, to install XP, I like Black Viper's because of the screen shots.

5. angelique01

so other programs are good where they are? Willl they go into the Xp registry when it is loaded? If not how do I go about installing them into the registry when they are already installed on the E drive for 98 se registry? Am I confusing anyone yet, lol.

also how do i switch between running OS's when the computer starts up?

6. bsop

bsop

If I understand what you are trying to say, you can not migrate the installation from different OS's. The applications nearly all the time must be installed for each operating system. The manual registry modifications for MS office exceed several hundred entries. Tracking all the entries is difficult. Cut and past can work but would ultimately take more time to manually modify all the changes versus a clean install.

The operating systems can not generally survive on the same partition. So, you must either have different partitions for each OS or have different hard disk drives.
    The order in which you install the OS's are quite important also. 98 must be installed first or the NT loader will be destroyed and you must then edit the system files manually.

Depending on how old your computer is and who the supplier is, some of the newer computers have an option to select the boot source just after post. This way, the installation is extremely easy if you have that kind of computer. I believe you mentiond that you wanted to install one OS in drive c: and the other on drive d:.

My computer uses the F8 key, the same as required to boot into safe mode to select the boot device.

Partition Magic has a program which is called Boot Magic. Boot Magic is a commercial product way of setting up multiple boot options. But, applications still must be installed into each OS independently.

When you use boot magic, a screen will pop up during the initial read of the hard disk.
    You will get a menu which displays operating system options. You simply arrow to the OS desired and wack enter.

What version of XP are you using.

If Windows 98 is installed first, NT will automatically creat a multiple boot screen.
    I will try XP Pro and see if it creats a boot menu by default if 98 is installed first.
    This option will not work if you do an upgrade. The upgrade will completely remove the old OS.

7. bsop

bsop

More Info:
    Microsoft website about dual boot:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...SXP/home/using/productdoc/en/dual_booting.asp

Cut and past from Microsoft website:

Installing more than one operating system on your computer You can install more than one operating system on your computer and choose which operating system you want to use every time you start your computer. This is often called a dual-boot or multiple-boot configuration. Windows XP supports multiple booting with MS-DOS, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT 3.51, Windows NT 4.0, and Windows 2000.

Disk volumes and disk format
    Each operating system must be installed on a separate volume on your computer. In addition, you must ensure that the boot volume is formatted with the correct file system You must reformat and repartition your hard drive if:

You have only one volume (so each installation can retain its own files and configuration information).
    The boot volume is formatted with the NTFS file system.
    If you want to install Windows 95 or Windows 98 with Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000, the boot volume must be formatted as FAT, not NTFS, because Windows 95 and Windows 98 must be installed on the boot volume when more than one operating system is installed, and FAT is the only file system those systems support. Windows 95 OSR2, Windows 98, Windows 2000, and Windows XP support FAT32 volumes.

However, if you format a Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, or Windows XP volume with any file system other than NTFS, you will lose all NTFS-specific features. This includes some Windows XP features such as file system security, encrypting file system (EFS) settings, disk quotas, and Remote Storage. Likewise, Windows 95 and Windows 98 cannot recognize an NTFS partition and will identify it as unknown. Therefore, if you format a Windows 98 partition as FAT, and a Windows XP partition as NTFS, any files on the NTFS partition will not be available or visible if you try to access them while running Windows 98.

Operating System Supported File System
    MS-DOS FAT
    Windows 3.1 FAT
    Windows 95 FAT
    Windows 95 OSR2 FAT, FAT32
    Windows 98 FAT, FAT32
    Windows 2000 FAT32, NTFS
    Windows XP FAT32, NTFS

How to create a multiple-boot system with MS-DOS, Windows 95 or Windows 98, and Windows XP

You will be less likely to encounter problems installing a multiple-boot system with MS-DOS, Windows 95 or Windows 98, and Windows XP if you install these operating systems in the following order: MS-DOS, Windows 95 or Windows 98, and then Windows XP.

If you have Windows XP installed on a volume formatted as FAT, and you have another free volume formatted as FAT or FAT32, you can install Windows 98 to the free volume without reformatting your hard drive.

After ensuring that your hard drive is formatted with the correct file system, do one of the following:

If you want a multiple-boot system with MS-DOS, Windows 95 or Windows 98, and Windows XP, install MS-DOS, then Windows 95 or Windows 98, and then Windows XP.
    If you want a dual-boot system with only Windows 95 or Windows 98, install Windows 95 or Windows 98, and then install Windows XP.
    Important

Before creating a multiple-boot configuration with Windows XP and another operating system, such as MS-DOS, Windows 95, or Windows 98, review the following precautions:

Each operating system must be installed on a separate volume. Microsoft does not support installing multiple operating systems on the same volume.
    If you have only one volume on your computer, you must reformat and repartition your hard drive to contain multiple volumes before you begin creating a multiple-boot configuration, unless you are simply installing another copy of Windows XP.
    You cannot install both Windows 95 and Windows 98 in a multiple-boot configuration. Windows 98 is intended as an upgrade to Windows 95 and will try to use the same boot file.
    You must install Windows XP only after installing MS-DOS, Windows 95, or Windows 98 to prevent MS-DOS or Windows 95 from overwriting the Windows XP boot sector and the Windows XP startup files.
    Do not install Windows XP on a compressed drive that was not compressed using the NTFS compression utility.
    You must use a different computer name for each operating system if the computer is on a Windows 2000 or Windows XP secure domain
    How to create a multiple-boot system with Windows NT 4.0 and Windows XP

Using a multiple-boot system with both Windows NT 4.0 and Windows XP is not recommended as a long-term solution. The NTFS update in Service Pack 4 for Windows NT 4.0 is provided only to help you evaluate and upgrade to Windows XP.

After ensuring that your hard drive is formatted with the correct file system, install Windows NT 4.0, and then install Windows XP.

Important

Before creating a multiple-boot configuration with Windows XP and another operating system, such as MS-DOS, Windows 95, or Windows 98, review the following precautions:

Each operating system must be installed on a separate volume. Microsoft does not support installing multiple operating systems on the same volume.
    If you have only one volume on your computer, you must reformat and repartition your hard drive to contain multiple volumes before you begin creating a multiple-boot configuration, unless you are simply installing another copy of Windows XP.
    If you intend to install more than one operating system consisting of some combination of Windows NT 4.0 with either Windows 2000 or Windows XP as the only installed operating systems, you must ensure that you have installed Service Pack 4 for Windows NT 4.0. Windows XP will automatically upgrade any NTFS partitions it finds on your system to the version of NTFS used in Windows 2000 and Windows XP. However, Windows NT 4.0 requires Service Pack 4 to be able to read and write files on a volume formatted with the version of NTFS used in Windows 2000 and Windows XP.
    Do not install Windows XP on a compressed drive that was not compressed using the NTFS compression utility.
    You must use a different computer name for each operating system if the computer is on a Windows 2000 or Windows XP secure domain
    Installing programs on more than one operating system
    You must treat each operating system as a separate entity. Any programs and drivers you want to use must be installed under each operating system under which you want to use it. For example, if you want to use Microsoft Word on the same computer under both Windows 98 and Windows XP, you must start Windows 98 and install Microsoft Word. Then, you must restart your computer under Windows XP and install Microsoft Word again.

Note

If you have more than one operating system on your computer, you can set the operating system you want to use as the default when you start your computer. For more information, click Related Topics.
    Windows 95 or Windows 98 might reconfigure hardware settings the first time you use them. This can cause configuration problems when you start Windows XP.

Specify the default operating system for startup

Driver Signing for Windows

Contact Us | E-mail this Page
    ? 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use Privacy Statement Accessibility

8. angelique01

ok how can I install the programs to XP, if the D drive is only like 2GB and probably only big enough to fit XP itself. Can I still install to the E drive from XP?

All my drives are partitioned in FAT32. I have Windows XP Home Edition. 98 SE is already installed on C.

What I mean is how do I change between what OS is booting up when the computer starts up. I know in the directions it gives you an option to select it during installation, but what do you do after that? Should I use Partition Magic for that, I have it. Or do I use F8 when it is start up. I'm confussed about this.

9. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Angelique:

First of all, you don't have to install the software on the same partition as the OS. You can have XP installed on D: and the software on E: and it will work fine. Just don't install it on the same partition as the software for W98se - C: I presume?

If you have two operating systems you must install software for them independantly. For example, if want to install Norton on botth W98se and XP then first you should boot to W98se and install Norton on it. Then boot into XP and install a second time, and in your case, make sure you prompt it to install to E:

You cannot install software onto XP from Win98se. You have to be in the OS that you want to install software onto.
    Please don't be confused and please don't use Partition Magic!. You don't need to do anything. When you install XP it will detect W98se and create a boot menu. Every time you start your computer you will be given a choice of what OS you want to boot. Partition Magic has nothing to do with booting. Windows will set up a boot menu, as I said above, and you have no need of any third party software.

10. angelique01

thank you thank you for clarifying what I was trying to say. Yes, that is what I thought. I boot up in XP and still install the programs to E inside Xp. That is what I presumed from the beginning. I just needed to make sure, wouldn't want to do anything bad here, lol. Thanks for answering the booting question so it made more sense to me :D.

Now I have one more question. Can I be online to install XP or would it be safe to boot up with the XP disk then install it to the D drive?

11. bsop

bsop

You can install XP when you are online. Nothing will be hurt. However, only the upgrade version will allow that option. Also, if you don't have the upgrade version of XP, XP will do a DESTRUCTIVE install. In other words, if you DON'T have an upgrade version of XP, the Windows directory will be completely deleted during the install. Once upgraded, only a destructive install is available in the future. Microsoft did this for security reasons. On the other hand a destructive install version will automatically knock you offline during the install when all the networking information is deleted.

One last thing. When you install the two versions, NEVER install the software from, example, XP, in the same directory where 98SE installed its files.
    An assumption here, 98 is running on drive C:. By default, all applications will install to C:\program files\XXXX , XXXX being the folder of the application.
    If you are using NTFS formating for XP, Windows 98, will never see XP and you can never damage XP accidently.
    However, XP can read Windows 98 Fat32 and if you direct the XP Software Installation such as Office to the Windows 98 C:\program files\XXXX accitently, when you reboot and try to use Office in Windows 98, it will not work. Your bigest task is to just make sure that you do not accidently install applications for one operating system in the same place, FOLDER, as the other operating system applications were installed.

You will have to inatalling a "CUSTOM" configuration so that you can tell the application the path you want to install to and any of the features you want if you want to modify if any.

It is all quit simple.
    Just follow instructions carefully.
    Install Windows 98 first.
    Install XP last and your boot menu will be automatically built for you.
    Once finished, you can modify the boot menu in XP by going to:
    Right click my computer,
    (or go to start, settings, control pannel and double clic system)
    Click the advanced tab
    click the settings button in the 3rd box down called "Startup and Recovery"

You then can set the default time to boot an OS if no input is done, (default is 30 seconds) you can set the default system to boot to, (default will be XP) and some other settings that are not important yet.

I hope I have made myself clear as water and not clear as mud and this is helpful.

12. angelique01

yes windows 98 se is installed on the c drive but we have a seperate drive for all the programs we have installed on windows 98, which would be the e drive. Are default is not C it is E. All drives C though H are in Fat32 ONLY

Yes, I assumed that since I have done a custom for 98 SE when I got the new hard drive and after it was formatted.

I understood what you have said but I think you got somewhat confussed about what I said about how my programs and 98 SE was installed as well as how my drives were formatted ;).

pyritechips, explained my situation best. But your help was much appreciated.

13. angelique01

well, got everything installed okay but problem is XP doesn't support my old as dirt modem to sign on to the internet, lol. *goes out to buy a new one*

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217455

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice