1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How can i easy turn my computer to UEFI compatible?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Cyb2018, Feb 14, 2020.

Advertisement
  1. Cyb2018

Cyb2018 Thread Starter

I have a desk top dell window 7 intel i5 , and i need for it to have UEFI* in order for me to work from home for a company , i also have 3977 MB memory on the computer when i run the companies scan in order to qualify and pass i need 4000MB minimum memory . So my question is can someone change my computer to UEFI and 4000 MB memory? Also how much would this cost me to have someone do this for me?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To pay somebody to install a new motherboard (with UEFI instead of BIOS firmware) with whatever other components (CPU? RAM? graphics card? ...) and a new Windows would probably cost more than buying a new computer (unless you can find somebody who can find very inexpensive parts and works pretty cheaply).

Cyb2018 likes this.
  3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Before we can answer that, we need to know the exact model Dell PC you are using. We can't "guess" what hardware is on your device.

The reason you show 3977 "MB" I suspect it is GB is that your video chip steals some of the installed memory.

4. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Just curious.....what function won't the existing bios do for your work at home , that you need?
    Perhaps there is an updated bios for your computer that would do the needed function?

Cyb2018 likes this.
  5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    4 GB (4,000 MB) sounds like a reasonable requirement for memory. I have to correct myself on MB or GB multiple times a day. Don't know how many times I may have confused them in a post but didn't get caught. :D

6. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    My first computer had 64 mb memory lol!

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Wow! John! That's huge! My first one had 64 KB (65,536 bytes to be exact). (Commodore 64)

Johnny b likes this.
  8. Cyb2018

Cyb2018 Thread Starter

I have no clue , just when the company does the scan for minimum requirements it says UEFI is one . It for a customer service position that does quality calls for different companies the hiring company is TTEC

9. Cyb2018

Cyb2018 Thread Starter

I might just keep the computer to have but look for another job :/

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The company's requirement for UEFI is probably for "security."

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Secure Boot is a UEFI option, so I'm guessing the company wants your computer to be secured from any possible unauthorized installs during boot up (source).

CYB: Your computer has the 4000MB (4GB) requirement though adding 4GB of memory shouldn't be expensive and would help the machine

Regarding UEFI, switching from Legacy to UEFI will mean you need reinstall Windows as your computer will not recognize the drive that was set in Legacy. Depending on the age of the computer, it may not have UEFI.

To confirm if it has UEFI option, when you turn on your Dell machine, press F2 rapidly until you get into the BIOS. Then under Boot Options you should see an area that will show options to choose Legacy or UEFI. Once you see that, press the ESC key to leave without making changes.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    How did you dream that up? BIOS firmware does not have a UEFI firmware option. And UEFI firmware does not have a BIOS firmware option. The motherboard has one or the other type of firmware.

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    upload_2020-2-15_18-59-51.png

This is what I am referring to. If the position is requiring UEFI and probably Secure Mode, then this needs to be set to UEFI.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Now I see, James. Thanks. However, this is not BIOS firmware. It is UEFI firmware with some bad terminology--somebody was editing some old comment for new UEFI firmware and missed changing "BIOS" to "UEFI." And the "UEFI" boot option should, as you say, really be "Secure Boot."

15. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Mine was the Amstrad CPC 464 lol Had the 128KB expansion and the floppy disc drive

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!