1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How can I edit a photo and take the .......

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Devane, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Devane

Devane Thread Starter

Hi, how can I take a phto and edit it so that there is nothing in the background. I know how to crop and do altertaions to enhance it, but I would like an absoutely plain white background as though it were suspended. Instead I get the table contents or something in the background. I've tried a white sheet in the bckground, but it is not the same. I see photos like it all the time, with just the object and nothing else. Is there a program that will do this or is it simpler than that. Thanks in advance.

2. xgerryx

xgerryx

3. linskyjack

linskyjack

It is often difficult to do, particularly when there is lots of fine detail in the foreground. Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, the Gimp (free) and a host of other programs give you the ability to attempt it.

4. mooml

mooml

I like to use Photoshop CS.. unfortunetaly it's pretty expensive. You can try out a 30 day trial version from Adobe. I think this is the most advanced photo-editing program out there.

There's also a lot of sites, mostly forums, that will take photo-editing requests for free.

5. Devane

Devane Thread Starter

Thanks. I knew it wouldn't be as simple as it looks. I have got Paintshop Pro somwhere but it would be a couple of years old on disc I wanted something simple because I need to do it a lot.

6. xgerryx

xgerryx

You are into an area of work that will always have a bit of a learning curve.
    Once you have a go at it, you find its not that difficult and if you have a lot to do, you will pick it up fairly fast.

7. xgerryx

xgerryx

What version of PSP do you have?

8. linskyjack

linskyjack

There was recently a thread (not sure if it was here) where someone posted an image of a model, with lots of wisps of blonde hair. She was set against a solid background and it was nearly impossible to select the tiny areas of background showing through the wisps of hair. Anyhow, if you have a sample pic, I would be happy to take a shot at it with Photoshop.

9. xgerryx

xgerryx

10. linskyjack

linskyjack

Thats it X----good example of the hardest type of photo to seperate background from foreground.

11. Devane

Devane Thread Starter

I have got The GImp, but I just can't see how to make the background white. Is it something you have to do like in Paint and use the eraser and then fill in color or something, because if so, then I will not bother. I thought you could just select say "background" and choose a color and voila, there is the while background. Duh!

12. linskyjack

linskyjack

As I asked you before, post your jpeg and let us have a go at it. It is very difficult to give you advice based on your verbal description.

13. mooml

mooml

I hate cutting out pictures like that. You almost always get a bit of backround color(blue) mixed in with the foreground at the tips of the hair.

But like one person said in that other thread.. it's a crappy jpg to begin with.. so that makes it even harder to cut out.

Anyway i couldn't help you out with gimp.. never used it. :eek:

14. Devane

Devane Thread Starter

Linksy, it is very nice of you to offer but I don't have one at present to send you. However, the pictures that I have had in the past are not nearly as complicated as the blonde girl and you would be able to run rings around it.

15. linskyjack

linskyjack

If they aren't as complex, then yes it is very possible. I generally use the selection wand (not sure if the Gimp has one but Photoshop and PS Elements do) and the add to icon. Then I just click and add to the selection. There are a bunch of other tools you can use too.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430534

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice