How can I find out what hard drive my PC needs?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Eriksrocks

You can see my specs above...

I need help buying a new hard drive. All I need to know is what kind of HD my PC takes.
I plan to look inside the case in a bit. Is there any way I can tell by looking? What do you think I'll need? Thanks.

Eriksrocks

Ultra ATA/100 won't work?

EDIT: Nevermind, Ultra ATA100 is the same as IDE, right? As in:

IDE Ultra ATA100?

Eriksrocks said:
Ultra ATA/100 won't work?

EDIT: Nevermind, Ultra ATA100 is the same as IDE, right? As in:

IDE Ultra ATA100?
Yep, that would be a fairly standard IDE / PATA drive.
(ATA/100 is the transfer mode / speed of the drive).

Download a copy of Everest from here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Run it and find the "Motherboard" category (actually motherboard again from within the motherboard category).
Let us know what it says for ID and Name.

(The link given before this post doesn't fly)

The motherboard will confirm for definite whether you can use the newer SATA type, but there's no doubt at all that you can use an IDE / PATA / ATA/100 drive, so long as you have a spare slot for it.
(Most boards will generally run 4 IDE devices - which includes your CD and DVD drives.)

Eriksrocks

EVEREST showed:

Name: Dell Dimension 4600
ID: <DMI>

I'm not sure if that helps much... :p

I was worried about if I had an empty slot, but I've only got a single HD and then a CD/DVD-ROM drive, so if most motherboards have four slots, then I'm in good shape. :)

Also, if I can get a SATA drive, should I? Are they faster? Are they more expensive?
And, most importantly, I need a drive that Windows can boot from, which I assume are all of the ones you listed.

If your motherboard has two IDE connectors you can have two devices per channel.

Eriksrocks

Uhhh... OK. (y) What does that mean? I know my CD/DVD-ROM drive is IDE, but I'm not sure about my current HD. If it is, does that mean I won't be able to get another IDE drive?

Maybe.....
I found a couple of articles about the 4600 (which had SATA ability), but I expect there are different permutations of them.
The Dell website isn't one of my favourite places to spend time. :rolleyes:

Eriksrocks

Alright, I'll take a look and maybe take a few pics. See ya in like 30 minutes. :)

Eriksrocks

Alright, went in, and took some pictures.

Basically, I just saw a whole bunch of wires, and although I have a general idea of where stuff goes, I do not know which connector is which and what port is what.

Overhead view of the PC - you can see the layout and use it for reference.

This is one place where I speculate the HD might go. The CD-ROM drive is on top, and you can see the empty slot, and then the floppy drive is the small thing towards the bottom.

Another view of the CD-ROM, empty slot and floppy, from the front.

This has got to be the existing hard drive, because there is nowhere else it could be. This also makes me think that the slot next to it is where the new HD could also go...

Here is the connector part on the motherboard. As you can see, there are two sort of card slots (which are not graphics card slots), and then there are a ton of wires and connectors and stuff behind them. This is the part where I'm clueless. What is what and what goes where?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Oh, and I almost forgot. I really don't care whether I get an IDE or SATA drive. It's more important for me to know whether I've got an empty slot/plug/connector thing to install a hard drive into.

BTW, try to make it fast, because I'm hoping to run out to OfficeMax before it closes at 7:00. (It's currently 5:45.) ;)

Thanks.

Internally accessible:

Primary IDE channel
40-pin connector on PCI local bus
Secondary IDE channel
40-pin connector on PCI local bus
Floppy drive
34-pin connector
Serial ATA
two 7-pin connectors

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online