How can I find the value of my old system?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jerold

I want to determine the value of my old PC so we can sell it for a fair market price. I can't find anything on the web that is comparable in specs. Does anyone know of any sites that would be helpful - ie plugging in the component descriptions and then getting a system specific cost. I've seen some on ebay for $800, but it is only for the tower and the specs aren't even close to mine.

The unit in question is circa 2002

Dell Precision Workstation 530
Pentium4 Xeon Processor
80GB HDD IDE
2.80Ghz Processor
1.5GB RAM
128MB Video Card RAM
17" LCD Screen
Harmon Kardon Speakers w/ Sub Woofer
CD-Rom Drive
DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
Internal Iomega ZIP250 Drive
Keyboard & Mouse

Software Included:
WinXP Pro (upgraded from Win2000 Pro
OfficeXP 2002 SBE
WinDVD (Dell Version)
Sonic RecordNOW! 7 Basic Version
and all the other system CD's that came with it.

Thanks,
Jerold

Used computers are usually not worth much when compared to the cost you paid for it.

For your specs, I'd be surprised if you got $400 for the whole package.

This isn't to say it's junk because it is a nice system, and was a real powerhouse when you bought it. But you can build a really good new system that would have dual-core, more memory, better vid card for less than $1000.

Plus, it's a Dell. These systems are notorious for using proprietary components that won't fit into other systems. This makes them difficult to upgrade with standard off-the-shelf pieces.

Jerold said:
I want to determine the value of my old PC so we can sell it for a fair market price. I can't find anything on the web that is comparable in specs. Does anyone know of any sites that would be helpful - ie plugging in the component descriptions and then getting a system specific cost. I've seen some on ebay for $800, but it is only for the tower and the specs aren't even close to mine.

The unit in question is circa 2002

Dell Precision Workstation 530
Pentium4 Xeon Processor
80GB HDD IDE
2.80Ghz Processor
1.5GB RAM
128MB Video Card RAM
17" LCD Screen
Harmon Kardon Speakers w/ Sub Woofer
CD-Rom Drive
DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
Internal Iomega ZIP250 Drive
Keyboard & Mouse

Software Included:
WinXP Pro (upgraded from Win2000 Pro
OfficeXP 2002 SBE
WinDVD (Dell Version)
Sonic RecordNOW! 7 Basic Version
and all the other system CD's that came with it.

Thanks,
Jerold
as far as i know there is no Blue Book prices for used pc equipment, you are pretty much at the whim of market forces, to me that system isnt worth $800 its old tech and for $800 i could build a new system 4 to 5 times faster and better, this is not meant as a put down, just the opinion of someone who looks at and reviews pricing of pc parts and systems daily. IMO at best youre more in the $400 range, if someone offers you that amount , take it, take it fast.

I would say, $250-350 possible more but doubtful just cause of the "used factor" maybe squeak $400 or a little more out of it if you can find somebody really in need.

brite750 said:
as far as i know there is no Blue Book prices for used pc equipment, you are pretty much at the whim of market forces, to me that system isnt worth $800 its old tech and for $800 i could build a new system 4 to 5 times faster and better, this is not meant as a put down, just the opinion of someone who looks at and reviews pricing of pc parts and systems daily. IMO at best you more in the $400 range, if someone offers you that amount , take it, take it fast.
Umm... you're right about the thing being worth a few hundred... but I doubt $800 will get you something "4 to 5 times faster and better" than 2.8 GHz Xenon with 1.5GB of RAM, unless you're from the future or something ;)

Look at a new Dell with comparable specs and figure between a quarter to a third of that. See what that gives you.

New systems have gotten so cheap, it is very difficult to sell a used one unless it is a real bargain. And I second Jones's remarks about it being proprietary; but, most people don't upgrade anymore. They just buy a new one.

Jones said:
Hey brite,

Were you thinking what I was thinking??

:D
:D yeah you fell bad doing this but hey they asked;)
I mean as soon as you open the box the price drops 25%

erick295 said:
Umm... you're right about the thing being worth a few hundred... but I doubt $800 will get you something "4 to 5 times faster and better" than 2.8 GHz Xenon with 1.5GB of RAM, unless you're from the future or something ;)
meant more "better", than "faster";)
Ive got a 2.8 Xeon sitting right in front for me, Precision 650, it aint all that, I'll tell you that much, it cost $2500 with no monitor 4 years ago, my A64-3500+ 939 system easily keeps up with it, the only nice thing I have is a 10,000 rpm drive and a quadro4 980xgl-128 gfx card, which posters doesnt even have.

also a far as gaming bench marks with old ram bus ram and gf2 level card i bet I could get a 4x benchmark for ~$800

hey Jerold if your system is a dual cpu and has a workstation gfx card make sure you say so, it may help your case a bit

Best answer to your question, which we seem to have strayed from, ic check on ebay.

brite750 said:
as far as i know there is no Blue Book prices for used pc equipment

Yes there is, i have a copy at work. when i go in tomorrow ill write down the name cant really remember it off hand but there is such a box that tells you what it would be worth.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts