1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How can I fix my boot files so that I can reverse order of my boot in dual pc

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Kapustin Yar, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kapustin Yar

Kapustin Yar Thread Starter

Hi People

I have a dual boot PC. I had to rebuild it recently because I put a new mobo and a new cpu in. I decided to be different this time and installed Winxp on my C drive and Win7 on my D drive. In my old rig the order was reversed.

Originally I thought this would be okay until it came to installing Rollback RX. Then I discovered that every time I tried to install rollback it either failed to install or it only protected my XP drive. I want it to protect my Win7 drive because it is my default boot.

I decided to start all over again this time installing in the reverse, with Win7 on C and WinXP on D. However I am having nothing but problems doing this because now the Win7 disk is not being recognized as having all the drivers and I can't get an internet connection on WinXP!!!!

So I'm thinking there might be a simpler way to do this. I put the contents of the disks on a Norton Ghost backup before I started doing this. Can I restore the contents of D on C and C on D? I can do it physically because both are the same size and both are ntfs. The problem is booting. If I do this my pc won't boot. So is there a way I can fix this?

I contacted Rollback RX three days ago and they haven't responded.

2. Megabite

Megabite

3. Kapustin Yar

Well the instructions on how to use it are kinda sketchy. Once I downloaded it do I burn it to disk? Do I extract it then burn it to disk? Do I use a CD or DVD? Remember I can't boot into either disk yet.

Once I figure that out where are the operating instructions for windows 7 and xp? I can't find them. only VISTA

Also when I boot using the win7 cd I get an error saying "can't find boot mgr? what does this mean? I downloaded the ISO from Microsoft, now is it defective?

4. Megabite

Megabite

EasyBCD is only a boot configure utility

Have you placed the W7 on the C drive and is this 2 physical drives or one Hard drive with 2 partitions?

5. Kapustin Yar

I have windows 7 on the C drive (which used to be on the d drive) and I am using two physical drives.

6. Megabite

Megabite

Take the HD out with XP and then try.......or take the W7 out and try the XP

Do you have any other discs like XP disc?

7. Kapustin Yar

I cleaned the win7 disk and when I did I got rid of the "can't find boot mgr" error msg.

Both the XP disk and the Win7 disks appear to be working properly now.

I did a startup repair of Win7 and it failed to repair the problem. When I startup I am supposed to get a screen that gives me a choice between which OS to boot to. However all i get is a blinking cursor.

Do you want me to take out the winxp hd and try a startup repair of win7?

8. Megabite

Megabite

Yes that may help....you may have to do the startup repair a couple of times.......did the startup repair find the W7 installation?

9. Kapustin Yar

Yes the startup repair DID find the w7 installation. I'll get back to you about removing one drive and doing the startup repair. thanks for your help.:D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974411

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice