1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How Can I fix Paritions on my external USB Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kapustin Yar, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kapustin Yar

Kapustin Yar Thread Starter

Hi Gang,

I was trying to complete a very difficult and laborious upgrade from Windows 98 to Windows 7 on one of my drives. I have a system with two drives, C has Win98 and D has Winxp sp3.

Anyway, after I discovered I ordered the wrong copy of Windows 7 I abandoned the process and decided to use my Norton Ghost 12 to reinstall win98 on my C drive which had windows Vista on it. At this time Vista had been formatted with NTFS.

I have done this several times tonight with no problem.

Well this last time I went to use my laptop and when I came back Windows 98 was on my C drive alright but I couldn't boot into it.

Not only that but my usb external drive (storage device) showed all my partitions had been erased. I had names for the partitions like Stuff, Movies, Backups etc. and in my absence they were all renamed to "Local Disk." In addition when I tried to open them to see what was going on they all asked me if I wanted to reformat my drive.

What do I do? Is all my information lost? Or is this a simple problem that is remedied by turning it off and leaving it over night? Or perhaps by doing something else?

My usb drive is a seagate 400gb hard drive fat32 and connected by a usb to a 5.25" external box.

There was no power surge that I am aware of and I do have a surge protector.

I have been using my pc quite hard today, for the last 11 hrs.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

I have partition magic 8.0 on my working drive.

Again I can't boot into 98 but I can boot into my D drive with Winxpsp2 which is also my default boot.

2. Kapustin Yar

Kapustin Yar Thread Starter

I'm thinking that the cause of this could be my cat. I just got her. She could have crawled on the keyboard while I was away.

Will unplugging the usb box work? Will reinstalling 98 work? Is there a paritition fixer that will work?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!