1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How can I get my wired connection to be as fast as my wifi?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Farmgirl22, Aug 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Farmgirl22

Farmgirl22 Thread Starter

I just replaced an old modem with a new router and modem, and my service is great on all the wireless units. My desktop though doesn't have a wireless adapter, so it has to be plugged in. And for whatever reason, it's only getting 20 Mbps, vs. the 60+Mbps that all of my other devices are getting according to speedtest.net.

• I have reset the network adapters 2x, and it gets a kind of "glitchy" 75+Mbps for about the first test, but within 5 minutes or so it is back down in the 20 range (and not glitchy).
    • I have also downloaded the RealTek drivers from their website because they apparently came up with a new one a couple of weeks ago and mine was from 2015.
    • I've also changed around the cables to see if any were defective, and it worked the same in all the configurations, so I don't think it's my cables.

What other things should I try? It used to go faster than this, so I know it's capable, I just can't figure out what changed.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    There are at least two, maybe three, possibilities.

1. The adapter and router are having trouble syncing a speed. Try setting the speed to 100 Mbps full duplex. (In Device Manager right click the ethernet adapter - Properties - Advanced tab - set the 'Speed & Duplex' Property to 100 Mbps full duplex.)

2. The adapter is failing. Be prepared to buy a new one (can be USB connected or PCI or PCIe depending on what slots you may have available).

3. I have no clue what the third possible possibility is.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Go into the Device Manager, then expand the Network Adapters heading.
    What's the exact name of the ethernet device?

Click the "Driver" tab.
    What's the exact driver version and driver date?

Click the "Details" tab, then select "Hardware Ids" in the list.
    What's the exact 4-character codes that follow VEN_ and DEV_ in those strings?

--------------------------------------------------------------

If that's a factory-brand desktop and not a self-built one, what's its brand name and model name and exact model number?

---------------------------------------------------------------

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Is it slower than it was using the old router?

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Yes, it is now slower than with the old equipment.
    She said this

6. Farmgirl22

OK, while I wait for the speedtest app to download (I got a socket error trying TerryNet's suggestion), my ethernet device is a "Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller".

Drivers: I just updated it the other day, so now it says version 10.28.615.2018 from 6/15/2018

VEN_10EC & DEV_8168 (there are 4 lines, but those are on all of them.)

This is a self built unit...just not by me. A local computer repair company builds computers that they then sell to the public. This was purchased from them.

7. Farmgirl22

OK, I tried your suggestion and ran another speed test. First I got a "socket error", so I'm downloading the desktop version (which seems to have stalled out?) but I went ahead and reloaded the page and ran another test--still around 17.56 Mbps, when my other computers are getting 60+.

If my adapter is failing, do I replace it? Or do I want a wireless adapter this time instead? With my old all-in-one unit, I didn't notice that the ethernet was significantly more of a reliable connection than the wireless ones, but I always chalked that up to the fact that the system was all-in-one.

8. Farmgirl22

Yes, or at least when the old router was new and just set up. I replaced it because it was constantly disconnecting and needing to be rebooted. Now all my other wireless computers are running like they should be and this one that only has an ethernet cable is slow.

9. Farmgirl22

Finally got the speedtest app download to complete, and now I have a weird question. Is it my browser that is throttling me? I'm using Chrome Version 68.0.3440.84 (Official Build) (64-bit) which says it's up to date.

Speedtest.net website says I'm running 17.65, the speedtest app says I'm getting 95.5 (and it seemed to be smoother and less glitchy on the test).

10. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    What 'speedtest app' gave the 95.5 result ?

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is this the third possibility I had no clue about? :D

What other browser(s) have you tried? If you are running Windows just try Speedtest.net in IE. Or even in Edge if Windows 10. If the problem is in one or more browsers could also be caused by a security application (firewall, anti-virus, ...).

I think that you have an integrated (with the motherboard) adapter. So, you would just disable it in BIOS or UEFI or Device Manager; and get a USB adapter or, if desired and you have a spare slot, a PCI or PCIe adapter.

Your choice. If you are close enough to the router for ethernet convenience then Wi-Fi will be no problem. Only thing to guard against is do not bury the wireless adapter such that its antenna is hidden from the router by the computer itself.

12. Farmgirl22

It's the desktop version from Speedtest.net. It offered it as a download when I got the socket error, so I gave it a try.

Maybe? So I tested it in Firefox with the same results as Chrome, and in Edge which was by far the worst, it didn't even break 10 Mbps on there, and the ping was really high (63 in FF and 42 in Edge vs 27 on the speedtest app). I'll be the first to admit I have absolutely NO IDEA what ping is, I just noticed a pretty significant difference across the browsers so thought it might be relevant.

13. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Your computer appears to have an integrated Realtek RTL8168 gigabit ethernet device.
    Go into its properties window in the Device Manager, then search for its "Speed & Duplex" or "Speed And Duplex" setting.
    Change it to "1.0 Gbps Full Duplex", then apply the change, then restart your computer.
    See if that helps.

----------------------------------------------------------------

14. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    As a test try one of the laptops on a wired connection to the router, disconnect the wireless first then run speedtest.net in a browser and tell us the result please.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214045

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice