1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how can I have 2 separate vesions of software without upgrading old version?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by MissNeedsPChelp, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MissNeedsPChelp

MissNeedsPChelp Thread Starter

:eek: How can I have two separate versions of a program on my pc without upgrading the old one. I want to be able to have a choice of which one to use. Hey I know it may sound odd I would not want to just upgrade to a new version of software. However it comes to this... If I upgrade I am losing fatures I have grown accustomed to. And when ever you go to add a separate version of new software it only seems to upgrade to the old version..which is missing aspects from the old version that I like. GRRRRRRR

How can I have both? I have downloaded skype and even if I put the new version in a separate folder outside of programs with an entirely differnt name it still only upgrades my old version, when I hit run.

I know what I am wanting to do is possible, I just need someone that understands that aspepct of PC to help me out.

Thank you

2. MissNeedsPChelp

It's me again... Sorry I should have mentioned the old version was working fine until I called germany from skype out today. I ahve never had a problem. As soon as that phone call was interupted by incoming skype video chat ( which I switched to) the video of other party pops up then dissapears automatically. We on both ends tried to figure out what it was..NAd recalled each other as well to see if it was just a temporary blip in the system. But it continued. I need to see my soldier when he calls me from his deployement!!!! Can't blame a girl! LOL

I checked the technical data and it says recieved video 0, recieved error 0... send video status 4, send video error 0

Not sure if that helps.. Maybe I can just fix the lack of video and not even need both versions? But if I had info how to have both plus fix my video error I wouldn't have to bother anyone again in the future. ;) thanks again...

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You might tell us what this mystery application is, that would be a first step.

4. MissNeedsPChelp

It is skype. Sorry I didn't make myself clear on that one.

5. JohnWill

OK, I thought it might be, but I couldn't tell if that was just another thing that got into the conversation. :)

If the software has no provisions for running multiple copies, this is probably going to be difficult.

Is it really going to be that difficult to live with the new version? It's hard to imagine they removed important features from a newer release.

6. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

"JW": Dumb question perhaps, but couldn't the "new" version be downloaded onto a CD, etc. and run from there when desired?

{redoak}

7. JohnWill

It has to create registry entries, and I suspect it only has a single key for all versions of Skype.

8. redoak

"JW": Thanks for the reply and info. I understand!

Could the HDD be partitioned and the "new" version put there? Hope I am not being a pest. Afterthought: Is there only one Registry even with multiple partitions?

{redoak}

9. JohnWill

YIKES! Partitioning the hard disk and "putting" the new version on would require you create a dual-boot with two versions of XP. Do you really need those features that bad?

10. redoak

"JW": I am confusing matters and I apologize. Hence, I will cease to pester you here at this Thread. I realize that it would be better that I ask my questions in a "PM" or my own Thread.
    {redoak}

11. JohnWill

New thread. :)

12. redoak

"Miss - - -": Go to the link below. This may be your solution.

I pursued a link in a current Thread that pertains to "portable" programs and found "Skype" is one that can be accommodated.

{redoak}

http://www.portablefreeware.com/?q=skype&u=0

13. MissNeedsPChelp

hmmm thanks everyone.. I just popped in to check replies i haven't been ignoring the help.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595871

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice