1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How can I identify a motherboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mugahoo, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mugahoo

mugahoo Thread Starter

Hi all,

I need to get drivers for on-board sound, but I'm not sure what motherboard is in the machine.

In case it's of any use, I'll list some info about it...
    It has a via chip, an AMD Atlon 1400Mhz, 5 PCI slots, one of which is blue, an AGP slot, two on board USB sockets, 2 SDRAM slots. The BIOS said Award BIOS v6.00.

What's the best way to work out what drivers I need for the on-board sound?

The machine is not connected to the internet, but if there's a program I could use, I might be able to download it and transfer it over.

Any comments greatly appreciated :)

2. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

3. 1394

He means, if there is a program or a file on the internet, he can download it on another computer and transfer it to the other one.

You need to find the name of your mother board. Usually it is printed on the motherboard somewhere, but that could take some time to find. Use the program MustBNuts posted to find the name and such, then we can probably guide you better.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Actually if you download AIDA32EE it will tell you the manufacture and model Mobo you have. And you might be able to use the Via 4in1 drivers seeing it has teh via chipset!

5. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Okay, I'm with ya now....somehow I thought he was talking about a program FOR the internet....don't mind me....I have occasional brain farts....

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It is them eyes to does it MBNuts

7. mugahoo

mugahoo Thread Starter

Yeah sorry I meant if there is a program to tell me which motherboard the machine has. Aida32 sounds like it should do the job.

I had a look at the board but couldn't see the name.

It's running Win98 but I might put WinXP on it, I just don't have the CD with me at the moment.

I'll give it a go and come back if there's any problems :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222408

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice