1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how can I know what video card and model I have in my laptop?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by thanku4helping, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thanku4helping

thanku4helping Thread Starter

I have installed a new 2.5" HDD after the other HDD crashed. But I have a problem now when I try to scroll down it is very slow and it makes waves. I have tried to research about that since I don't know anything and I have read similar article and it says I have problem with my video card----Hi the problem that in my opinion that you are having is your video card driver and software,if you have installed windows (not from the original disc) the driver is not on that disc or you put the video card in yourself or this was done before you bought the PC,find out what video card is in your machine and download the driver and software for it --- I tried to search how to find but I can't see anything about my video card..I need your help...I have been trying to put back my computer to normal but it's taking long now...one of the problems is this...please help me. Thank you

2. Athan

Athan

Hello,

Please try this :

start > run > and type dxdiag and hit enter !!

~a

3. The_Oracle

The_Oracle

you'll have to install the drivers. can you post make and model of the laptop?

also, run SIW, a handy tool to gather hardware information (under Hardware, click on PCI, feel free to post a screen shot)

4. thanku4helping

Hi, thank you for your response. My laptop is IBM Thinkpad R32,Type 2658 BMU,OS is WinXP.

5. Athan

Athan

So with that info did you manage to fix your issue by getting the required drivers ?

~a

6. thanku4helping

Hi! When I run the dxdiag, on the Display Tab I got this information ---The file vga.dll is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.The system is using the generic video driver. Please install video driver provided by the hardware manufacturer.To test DirectDraw functionality, click the "Test DirectDraw" button above.Direct3D functionality not available. You should verify that the driver is a final version from the hardware manufacturer.----but I don't know where I can find the model and version of my Video card.

7. thanku4helping

also, run SIW, a handy tool to gather hardware information (under Hardware, click on PCI, feel free to post a screen shot)
    response:

Screenshot is attached file as info.jpeg. Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

• info.jpg
      info.jpg
      File size:
      161.7 KB
      Views:
  8. thanku4helping

in addition to my previous file attached: info.jpeg screenshot, how can I determine the Video Card Type and Model? Do you know also where to download a Video Driver Software? Thank you again.

9. pedroobv

pedroobv

10. thanku4helping

You can also use the device manager, in the video section is listed the chip of your board.
    You can find your drivers here:
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-43146

Best Regards

Hi! I checked in the device manager and under Other Devices is PCI Modem and Video Controller(VGA Compatible), I clicked on Video Controller and on General properties the Manufacturer is Unknown and in the Device Status it says that the Driver for this device are not installed. (Code 28) To reinstall the drivers for this device, click reinstall driver.---I am not sure if I should reinstall it or just download the driver on the website you sent to me. Do I need to know first what model of video card I have in my laptop before I download the driver on the website or is it compatible in any model of video card? Thank you for your help.

11. The_Oracle

The_Oracle

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!