1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how can i lock a computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by edgar818, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. edgar818

edgar818 Thread Starter

I have just build a computer for my office and people are going to use this computer for business. Is there any way i cant lock it so they cannot go into my documents or do other things that i dont want them to. I have windows xp proffesional.

2. jp1203

jp1203

If you would like to lock it when you are away, press the Windows Key+L, or press CTRL-ALT-DELETE, Click Lock Computer.

If you would like to lock your documents so others cannot get to them, make sure your drive is in the NTFS format, and create a user (or several) others different from yours. Your documents folder will be inaccessible to them as long as they are not added to the Administrators Group. If you would like, I could explain either in more detail.

J.S.

3. edgar818

edgar818 Thread Starter

Is there any way i can make it more intense so the people using the computer dont goof off and do what they want?

4. jp1203

jp1203

You can change permissions for almost anything. When you create a user:

1. Right-Click My Computer
    2. Click Manage
    3. Click Local Users and Groups
    4. Go into users
    5. Right-click in the users area and click new user (and create the user) OR
    5a. Right-Click on a current user and click properties.
    6. In the properties of a user, there should be a member of tab.
    7. In this tab, you can add a user to groups, the most common are User, Power User, and Administrator.
    User will allow the user to complete most tasks, including printing and saving, but won't let them modify anything other than their settings on the system.
    Power User will allow the user most Administrative tasks, but won't let them install some programs and change other's passwords or view other's documents
    Administrators will allow the user to do anything.

Try Clicking Start>Run secpol.msc

This is where you can change what groups can and can't do.

Let me know what you don't want them to be able to do, and I can give you instructions on how to disable it.

J.S.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!