1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how can i make a modem/router work with a router??

Discussion in 'Networking' started by foxx, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. foxx

foxx Thread Starter

i just had a very weird issue... i cannot connect the westell versalink to a wireless broadband router.. i did the basics (bridge, disable DHCP) but the westell is not giving IP address to the PC.. it did work when we just disable the wireless of the westell and connect the linksys, but thats not the standard way (very unstable).. how can i solve this without replacing the westell versalink with a modem?? help anyone?? please??

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Okay first off you have 2 wireless devices and 2 routers right?

Westell - Modem/router combo - wireless
    Linksys - router - wireless?

Are you wanting both of these ot have wireless on or off? Also are you wantintg to use anything more than the modem portion of the westell?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

4. blaqDeaph

blaqDeaph

When you set the bridge, where did you set it? some times the routers require you to set it at both ends.

5. foxx

foxx Thread Starter

the versalink is a modem+router in one right? but the wireless range is strong up to 10-15ft. thats the reason why we are getting a linksys router coz its range goes strong to 50ft. now i bridged the westell, disabled the DHCP (private) and disabled the wireless like i normally do to a westell modem. then i set the linksys to PPPoE connection (company protocol). now the error i get from linksys is that the modem is not giving out IP addresses. i make sure everything is set to automatic (DNS and IP address) so what device is suppose to give out the IP address? the linksys or the versalink? am i missing something?
    FYI: both device worked before. they only disabled the wireless capability of the versalink and it worked for almost 2 months. it just lost connection without apparent reason.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A modem does not itself give out an IP configuration; it just "passes along" whatever from the ISP. With the modem/router bridged, you probably have to power cycle it, and you have to set the WAN section of the Linksys to connect. You've already mentioned setting the Linksys to PPPoE and dynamic IP configuration. Are you confident that this is correct--not a static IP, no login/password needed? In other words, have you checked that this is the configuration of the router portion of the modem/router?

The easiest way to to use these two devices is to follow JohnWill's procedure. Either disable the Versalink's wireless or make sure the two have different channels and different SSIDs.

7. foxx

foxx Thread Starter

for most modem, it does not give ip configurations, thats why its easy to connect. but all westell modems including the versalink gives out IP's. its from 192.168.1.1 up to 192.168.1.253, subnet: 255.255.255.0 and default gateway is 192.168.1.254. that is why its apparent to bridge the modem and disable its DHCP configuration before connecting a router so as not to have conflicts on what device is suppose to give out the IP address. now thats the rule that i followed. it works if i do that with any westell modem and connect the device to any router. i just set PPPoE connection, enter UID and PASS (provided by the ISP) and then i can connect. but if i do that with the westell versalink, i wont work.. now, i just want to know (since im a newbie in networking) if there is a certain protocol that i have to follow in this kind of connection. what did i miss? and what is the difference if its a static IP??
    -------------> im sorry if i cant follow easily, its just that im desperate and my training for networking did not give this kind of scenario.. but really, thanks to all who is trying to help.. :)

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When you login to the router portion of the Westell Versalink modem/router at address 192.168.1.254, what are the various settings in the WAN (internet) section. PPPoE? Static or dynmaic IP? Specified DNS server(s) or 'obtain auto'? Login and password for the ISP? Etc.?

Did you power cycle the Westell Versalink after bridging and connecting the Linksys?

If you can post a link to the Westell's User Guide, or give the exact model number of the device, maybe somebody can spot something in the manual that you missed.

9. foxx

foxx Thread Starter

im posting a link to the versalink modem/router..

http://www.fastsurf.com/Versalink_QuickStartGuide.pdf

and i just spotted something.. its the private LAN DHCP server, that is the one im disabling, but there is also a public LAN configuration, the Public LAN IP Address: 192.168.2.1.. what is the difference with these two??

WAN settings: protocol: PPPoE
    ip and subnet are to obtain automatically.
    and on all issues, i always powercycle before i troubleahoot.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The Quick Start Guide has nothing useful, but I got your model number from that. From the User Manual I learned that that your beast is far too complicated for me. :(

For a modem/router such as this I use the term "bridge" to mean "bypass the router function and make this thing work just like a simple modem." I think you are using the word the same way. Apparently Westell uses it differently. I don't understand, but apparently it's on a par with "PPPoE" and "PPPoA"; something the ISP decides upon.

I couldn't figure out from the manual how to bypass the router function. If it were me, I'd give up at this point and go with post #3.

Good luck.

11. foxx

foxx Thread Starter

to: TerryNet
    well thanks to you though, i was able to isolate the issue to just the versalink. i think that is the device in which im really having a problem with. ill try post#3. its just that i just found out that the versalink has public LAN and private LAN. ill try to research more then..

12. foxx

foxx Thread Starter

hi again!!! i was not able to resolve this issue yesterday but im going to try it again today, or else, i will need to just use a modem and get rid of the versalink..
    now, how exactly do i do this?? shall i disable the DHCP of the secondary router?? or the primary?? (i always disable the primary) and what difference would that be??

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I can't think of why it wouldn't work if you disable the primary's Dhcp.

The reason that I would NOT do it that way is because if you later disconnect the secondary router, even temporarily, you disrupt your entire network. Doing it by disabling the secondary router's Dhcp, you can then disconnect that router and everything else still connected to the primary router continues working as if nothing has happened.

If you disable the primary router's Dhcp, and then later decide to add a third router, would you disable the secondary's Dhcp and use the third one? :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490349

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice