how can I network 2 computers over a wide geographic area?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ghurney

I basically want to be able to see the files on eachothers computers. One computer will be in Omaha, Neb. The other will be in Denver, Colorado. Both will have a high speed connection to the internet. Also if you have a cheap way of doing this please let me know.

I was also wondering what the best way to have a camera setup on both of those computers so that I can talk and see in real time to the user at the other computer.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Geoff

Hello there, Well there is one thing i can think of, you could have you and your other computer set up file and printer sharing. (start, settings, network) and then when you reboot just right click the file/folder/drive you wanna share and click sharing... then choose password or non password and its shared!. Now to access it the computer who wants to get your files needs your IP #. That can be found be going to start, run and typing winipcfg. Now that you have your IP the person trying to get the files needs to go to My Computer, Tools, Map Network Drive. Ok now for path they need to put your ip then / then folder name. heres an example if your IP was 66.34.68.115 and you were sharing folder Games

ex. 66.34.68.115/Games
that would be the path. (check the box that says reconnect at logon) once thats finished click ok.

Now you should see the persons folder as a new drive on your computer, just like you would see your hard drive like C:

I hope that solves your problems, let me know if you get stuck ok? See Ya :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online