Solved How can I open and save .PDF's on Chrome with Adobe Reader?

bj nick

I tried to research this, saw a lot of conflicting things, basically it seems Google does not want people to have the capability?

I would like to download a .PDF I was sent and save it on the desktop, and I know there'll be more in the future. That's it. Under "open with" it gives me a Lumin option and a couple others; I far prefer using Adobe. Hope someone can show me a simple way to do this.

bj nick

Well, it was sent on Gmail, so I guess Drive.....I see them as sort of the same thing....and man, that was fast! Thanks for responding so quick.

bj nick

Just to be clear: It was "Google Classroom" that I opened it in; the doc is from my instructor and we use GC all the time for lessons.

Couriant

James
OK I had to double check a couple of things. You are mentioning download and also the PDF handler. When I click on download, it downloads it to my downloads folder:

1635200112157.png

You can change it to the Desktop in Settings: (or change it to ask where)

1635200249272.png

Also you will need to set it so downloads PDFs:

1635200350899.png

You will finally need to make PDFs default to Adobe by going to the properties of a PDF, and then Click Change:

1635200404061.png

That should make it open your PDFs in Adobe.

Couriant

James
If Google Classroom has the same download button then it should work as I have typed it.

bj nick

Well, this may be the issue: there's no download button, which I'm used to seeing. I'm ready to do just what you suggest, but I can't find the screen you're showing with settings........where is it?? Chrome, GC, Gmail? I've tried "settings" pretty much everywhere (except obviously where you're indicating here.) Please let me know exactly how to find it and I should be good.

bj nick

I realize it's probably on Google Chrome, but since I use DuckDuckGo as my default, not sure how to get to Chrome.....of course it's installed, but.....maybe this is a senior moment. What's the easy way to get there? Geez, Google is so ubiquitous; everything is Google....silly I can't just get to Chrome.

Couriant

James
Yes I use Google Chrome so the settings is for that.
I thought DDG was an extension / search engine not a browser?

unles you open your class in Chrome you will have to make it your default for all the links (type default apps in the search Bar on the bottom to select it)

Couriant

James
Good to know, I will download it and play with it to get some idea and see if it has any options like FireFox/Chrome/IE does for PDF.

Edit: looks like its a browser for mobile/tablets and not for computers? I don't see a windows download, only an extension for the browser.

plodr

Liz
I have no trouble both opening and saving pdf on my Windows 7 computers. BUT I refuse to use chrome on any Windows computer. FF automatically opens any pdf (no adobe installed). I can then choose to just view it then download it too, if I wish.
https://www.howtogeek.com/721441/ho...f-previewing-them-in-chrome-firefox-and-edge/

I can find directions for downloading a pdf from Google Classroom but this is on a Chromebook.
Are you using a Chromebook?

Couriant

James
I have no trouble both opening and saving pdf on my Windows 7 computers. BUT I refuse to use chrome on any Windows computer. FF automatically opens any pdf (no adobe installed). I can then choose to just view it then download it too, if I wish.
This is the norm for all major browsers now. But they are limited so if you don't need to do anything then this will be sufficient. Any form filling / editing will need Adobe Reader or Acrobat. I had a few users that couldn't use forms in the browser because they couldn't read the file properly... had to manually download the file (save link as).

@bj nick I just realized what you meant... I assume you meant this:

1635351947109.png

If that's what you meant, then you should see the download icon on the right.... you may need to change the size of the browser or max it to full screen.

Can you show us a screen shot of what you see?

bj nick

Yes, that's where I'm at. As you can see from the screenshot, there's no download option.

no download option for pdf.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online