1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How can I Partition External HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jenitaylor, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jenitaylor

jenitaylor Thread Starter

I have a Transcend 500gb external HD fat32 with approx 150gb of data already written. How do I safely create a partition in WBFS file system (Wii) without deleting the existing data. I need to back up my DVD Wii games.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can''t (easily, and you don't need to). Don't attempt to use a different file system. Just use NTFS (better and sfaer than FAT32, but FAT32 will work for files smaller than 4 GB's) and copy the files. You can use the partitions you already have, or make a new one with third-party software, but that is a risk to the data unless you have another copy (which you should - data not backed up is data you don't want to keep).

If you are backing up DVD's, make iso images of the disks with ISOBuster, UltraIso, or similar. But again, since FAT32 is such an oild file system, it only supports files up to 4 GB's, so a full DVD will not fit.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972281

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice