1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how can i protect my system from viruses and spyware?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by thomasifedayo, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomasifedayo

thomasifedayo Thread Starter

i have just reinstalled windows xp on my laptop and need help tightening up my internet explorer...as well as better the system security..i would really appreciate it if someone could help me out by telling me what programs i need to install on my laptop so that i can protect it from viruses, spyware and malaware...thanks

2. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

3. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

AGV [free antivirus]
    Spybot search and destroy [free spyware checker]
    Adaware from Lavasoft [free spyware checker] Between the two they find different things.
    Windows Firewall or ZoneAlarm [also free]

BUT the greatest thing you can do is educate yourself to best practices.

For example:
    don't open email from unknown people
    don't open attachments unless you were expecting them or confirmed from the source they are valid [great way to hijack/infect/hack your computer]
    don't go to web sites you shouldn't or follow links to places you should not be
    run your AV and spyware checkers every time you get off the internet.
    update your AV and spyware checkers on a regular basis
    don't download "cutisy" things like emoticons [smiley central for example] because they have imbedded spyware.
    only do online banking with secure sites
    don't store acct numbers or passwords in text [or any] files on your computer
    run disk cleanup regularly
    run disk defrag regularly

I am sure others can add to the list of best practices. You can find more information using Google. Good luck.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697033

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice