1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how can I recover data from damaged drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yinminpapa, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yinminpapa

yinminpapa Thread Starter

Hi,

I have to face a problem with my hard disk.My computer worked well yesterday and while I was using nero for copying one file to CD,my computer hanged.So I restarted it again.But windows xp cannot load and I got boot disk failure error.So,I tried to boot from CD.Windows setup CD start normally and it cannot continue after a while and I got this error stop:c0000221 unknown Hare Error/SystemRoot/System 32/ntdll.dll.I am sure that my CD is good.
    So I restart my computer and checked my hard disk at bios setup.There,my drive is not detected.I have checked my jumper setting and cable setting, but, bios setup does not know my disk.I have checked my hard disk at another good computer ,but at this computer ,my drive is not detected.
    I think that all my bios setup setting for my hard disk is correct .I have set my hard disk to auto at setup.I need to say one thing that I have heard strange noice from my disk when I restart my computer.I think that my drive is physically damage.Is it right or not?I would like to know that how can I test to my disk that it is damaged or not and how can I recover my data if it is physically damaged.

I really appreciate to your help.

Yin Minn Pa Pa

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It sounds like the controller section of your hard drive is dead, as two separate PC's will not detect it as a hard drive any more, based on your description above.

Therefore, assuming that to be the case (and your tests do suggest that is the case) then you cannot recover the data.

You really need to get a professional data recovery company to quote on recovering the data. It will not be cheap, assuming it is even possible.

The disk maker should have some software available on their website for diagnostic use, but as the PC does not even recognise the drive in the BIOS, there will be no way to use the software, as it must be able to access the drive.

It would really help a lot if you could break up your post into paragraphs though, it is very hard to read and comprehend as a solid block of text. It makes it easy to miss the vital details needed to be ble to help.

3. Compiler

Compiler

Unless you REALLY need your data and have the money, you'll need to pay a recovery service to retrieve the data. Looking about $1500~3000. They charge by the KB.

Or know what you're doing and buy an exact HD and replace the system board, which is ... tricky... ( I never done it )

if the drive is SPINNING but no BIOS (double check the cables again, but doubt it) and by Strange noise.... something simular to fingernails on a chalk board (scraping metal) - if so, then your heads crashed and the discs have physical damage. I'd say, 100% drive is dead... :(

4. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

What hard drive have you got? You can download manufacturer diagnostic programs that can check your drive for errors and the such. Have you tried setting the HDD as a slave and using another working HDD as the master? You should try this and see if you can access the files that way.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, I've had about a 50% success rate replacing the PCB on a dead drive with a working one. If you manage to find one close enough in function, it will sometimes solve the issue. It depends on the drive how close you have to match it, I've had some Maxtor drives that I was able to take the board from a different size drive (same basic model) and recover the data. I've had other drives that I used the same exact board, but only a different EC level, and it failed.

6. yinminpapa

yinminpapa Thread Starter

Thank you to all very much. I haven't test my drive as the slave one with another working drive as discussed by MaverickUK .I'll try it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538156

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice