1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How can I recover data from drive that wont boot?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rockbreaker0, Aug 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rockbreaker0

rockbreaker0 Thread Starter

I run XP pro. Went to turn on machine ,it gives me three options, safe mode, safe mode with net work and normal mode.

What ever one I choose it will start the boot up from the beginning and come back to this orignal promt as above stated.

I tried to make the drive a slave but the systems keeps telling me "do you want to format?

For some reason the drive cant be accesed? Is there a program to extract info that I want to save? If so please advise.

Thank you :confused:

2. Scorpio1a

Scorpio1a

Have you tried reloading your last saved settings?

Start / Programs / assesories / think its restore settings ... it will or should give you the option of going back to a previouse setting ..... and think you can do it from safe mode.good luck !

3. rockbreaker0

rockbreaker0 Thread Starter

Can not access safe mode, can not boot windows xp pro it wont go any further than the prompt that i stated.

I require a program that will force data from this drive to another. I can not get this drive to boot???

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I understand you have already tried to connect the drive to another computer and that system wanted to format the drive. Is that correct? It would seem that the boot sector and or mft is damaged. It is also possible that the drive has just failed. I would try to boot with the xp cd and enter the RC [recovery console] once in the RC type this without quotes. Hit enter after each line.
    "Fixboot"
    "Fixmbr"
    After you do that type "chkdsk /F" without quotes. See if that helps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/265821

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice