1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How can I recover data from hard drive after using repair disc?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by chelysco, Aug 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chelysco

chelysco Thread Starter

Hi, please help.

The computer is an HP a6400f, Windows Vista service pack 2
    with a Western Digital WD5000 AAKS-65A7B0 drive.

Last year I started having problems with the wd5000 hard drive. I would get error messages and at startup the computer would show that it was scanning the files. I realized that maybe the drive was dying, so I figured out how to clone it to a new 1TB drive. Things had been ok with the new 1TB drive until last month. My dad had trouble with it and didn't tell me until windows would not even load anymore. I was heartbroken. I know I should have saved everything to some discs when I had the chance. Anyway, I used another computer to download a vista repair program, made a CD, and used the cd on the a6400f, but it didn't seem to work.

So since the new drive seemed dead, I had the idea to use the original hard drive I had cloned from (wd5000), and try to repair it and clone it again. So I plugged in the original drive, used the vista repair disc, and thankfully it was working even though it still says biohd-8 in the smart test. I was hopeful because the desktop would load, but the problem was that it would take forever to load. Yesterday I decided to wait however long it would take until the spinning cursor would go away and see if I could click on programs. It took a long time and everything was slow, but I was able to access the msconfig and check off some startups and services. Then I read online about chkdsk /r. So I tried that and when I started up again things were faster. So I cloned the drive to a brand new drive and decided to save the new one as a backup for now since this one seems to be working again. Sorry for all that, I just wanted to give a lil info on what happened.

Anyway, while sorting files I realized that instead of having all the files up until October or November of 2012, it only has files up until May 2011. Did all the repairing delete over a years worth of files? If so, is there a way I can recover those files?

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi and welcome,
    You may be able to recover some files using testdisk (free and legal) but it depends how over-written they are. Guide here: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step inc how to run from within Windows.

In the meantime, use those drives as little as possible to improve chances of recovery.
    You could try using a Linux o/s called Ubuntu to try to rescue files off the dead drive. Guide here http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/ the version of Ubuntu has changed so some screenshots may look different, but the method still works.

Hope this helps?

Richard

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1105634

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice