1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How can I reload XP from the hardrive with no recovery disc or XP disc?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cekoch, Nov 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cekoch

cekoch Thread Starter

My sisters packard bell notebook model (easynote) E-3242 running windows XP. After installing SP2, XP wont load, even in safe mode. I already used cd-bootable Knoppix to copy all documents i needed to rescue. At this point a complete Re-install would be great, but alas, no install disk came with this notebook, And my sister lost the recovery discs she made.(if she ever made them) I do NOT have any XP disc available.
    How can I begin a re-install or similiar from the Hardisk with no Discs?

2. kniht

kniht

There should be a recovery partition on the HDD, usually D:/.

Go to Start >> All Programs >> Packard Bell (Hewlett-Packard) >> PC Tools

Click on System Recovery, and hang on for the ride.

This will bring your notepad back to factory conditions. Good thing you've backed up your important data.

3. cekoch

cekoch Thread Starter

XP wont load, even in safe mode. All I can do is boot off a CD. No matter which option I choose (safe mode/ safe with networking/ last good config that worked/ start normally) none of them will start Winxp. It goes through its normal bios flash then right back to the option menu.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

5. cekoch

cekoch Thread Starter

Thanks, will I have to register/validate that copy of XP for that particular computer even though it is used just for repair?

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

You have to put in the product code, which can be the same as you number if the version of XP is the same, otherwise yes. But you will not have to activate it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/515430

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice