1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How can I remove a program with no uninstall?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by vicki_nb, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vicki_nb

vicki_nb Thread Starter

I have a Xerox M940 printer/scanner/copier and I'm running it with XP which it is not compaitable with. I've been using with XP for about 8 months and never have a problem using with it. Except I get a popup everytime I restart my computer and telling me that I have new hardware.

Soooo.....I go to the Xerox site and they have a driver for XP or so it says. Come to find out there is NO driver for Windows XP. I tried to use it but it didn't work. Anyways, now I have screwed something up and I need to uninstall it and reinstall.

Problem is, I'm getting an error message saying that it's missing the unist.isu and cannot unistall half of it. (I'm sure this is something that I have screwed up) I can't reinstall the printer until I completely uninstall the program.

So, how can I uninstall this program without using the add/remove hardware program?

2. BillC

BillC

If it does not have an uninstaller and you can't use Add/Remove you might need to get the manual instructions from the vendor.

However, have you thought about using system restore in XP to a point before you ran into this problem? I find that system restore is very helpful in undoing my screw ups. :)

3. Seb7

Seb7

Not easily..!!! Three options...

1. As above, use XPs restore feature, (as long it hasnt been disabled)

2. Instead of uninstall, reinstall; do install, uninstall, reinstall. - often works.

3. Manually remove what is left of the software. Delete the files directly related to the software, usually somewhere in 'c:\program files', then also remove the registry entries relating to it. There is a particular registry entry that relates to the entry appearing in the add & remove list that needs to be removed.

Unless you know what you are doing, I suggest you get someone who does, else you can really screw up your machine if you remove something you shouldnÂ’t. You may find on the internet some software that can do this clean operation relatively safely for you.

4. vicki_nb

vicki_nb Thread Starter

Well, that took all of 5 minutes and everything is back to normal. Can you believe I've been trying to fix this thing for hours???????????

I used the system restore...worked like a charm. Why can't I think of these things?

THANK YOU!!!!!

5. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Meh, even the best of us tend to overlook things.

6. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

When you used system restore it also restored other things as well. If you want to just delete the one program, then use the registry and delete it from there ;)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272540

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice