How can I remove shortcut arrows appearing on desktop icons?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

luckylavs

I would like to remove the shortcut arrows overlaying my desktop icons. Related to that -- I would also like to remove those UAC shield overlays from appearing on the same icons -- but without actually disabling UAC.

What would be the best way to go about this?

I have tried 3rd party software called "Microangelo on Display" -- which is said to make doing this very easy. And yet -- from my experience, the software just doesn't work as intended. Removing the shields function -- doesn't remove ALL the shields on icons, as some shields remain. Removing the shortcut arrows -- leaves nasty black squares where the shortcut arrows used to be, and these squares are larger and even more obnoxious than the arrows I was trying to remove in the first place.

From within this Microangelo software -- I have tried different combinations of things -- removing the shortcuts, rebooting. Removing both shortcuts and shields, rebooting. Removing the shortcuts, repairing the icon cache. Removing the shortcuts, restoring the icon cache, rebooting, etc. No possible combination has worked for me yet -- and in some cases all my icons go blank, which is equally undesirable. Just don't think that this program works very well for what I'm trying to accomplish.

So is there another way to do this? I would just like to fix it and forget it. But I have read on the web stories of people who, even though they were able to remove the shortcut arrows successfully -- the cat came back the very next day. Or in other words, the next time Windows rebooted the pesky arrows were back.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What is the advantage of not showing these overlays?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online