1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How can I remove this icon from my desktop?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kristymay_c, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kristymay_c

kristymay_c Thread Starter

I am trying to remove an icon that says "install_flash_player", but every time I try, it says "Cannot delete install_flash_player: It is being used by another person or Program. Close any programs that may be using the file and try again."
    I've tried shutting down the pc, but that didn't work. I've closed all programs when trying to delete it but it won't go. I then tried opening my task manager to view processes, but am unsure as to which process to end. Anybody have any suggestions?

2. TooBad

TooBad

Welcome to TSG!

You might try to search for "install_flash_player" in the registry. Click Start - Run and type regedit and click OK. Simply search for that phrase and report back where you find it. After each find, you can press the F3 key to find the next occurance. Don't remove any registry entries yet.

3. Sequal7

Sequal7

Hello

Right click the taskbar (across the bottom of your screen) and click "Task Manager", the windows task manager will open.
    Click processes, then look for the instance install_flash_player in the windows. Click it then click end process (if you have multiple instances listed then end each one)

Go back to the file on your desktop and delete it and see if it does.
    If not, right click the install_flash_player "icon" and if read only is checked uncheck it, then try to delete it again.

4. 12tipp12

12tipp12

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Don't remove anything from the registry. It won't help, may hurt, and in any case, has nothing to do with locked files.

Use 12tipp12's suggestion and use Unlocker.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!