1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How can I restore desktop icons after they get shifted around?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bj nick, Apr 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Windows 7 home pro: I have been having a recurring problem where my icons will keep resetting themselves after a boot-up. It is maddening to have to keep rearranging them over and over again. The settings should be fine as I just got back from my tech guy and I watched the machine boot up multiple times with icons intact. But there used to be an app, Iconoid, I think it was- that would restore icons after an emergency shutdown or something. But it won't work on Windows 7. Any ideas?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

if it is only a case of the icons being moved from the position you place them in, as against the icons actually changing to a different icon then try this
    right click the desktop, click view
    ensure auto arrange icons and align to grid are unchecked
    arrange the icons as you wish
    again right click the desktop and click refresh

reboot and again right clicking the desktop check that the two items mentioned arrange and align are still unchecked, then test it please

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Apparently Iconoid works on Win 7
    http://www.sillysot.com/

I use it on XP. The computer is on a KVM switch and if it boots in the background, the display is the wrong size. My icons get huge then when I fix the display, they are in disarray. I hate always having to reposition them so Iconoid to the rescue.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm using Iconoid on Windows 7.

5. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Thanks both of you. A guy recommended "Fences," and I am trying it, and wow, I just love the format.....I'm assuming it will hold when I reboot, so holding my breath.....:) Fences has attributes far beyond Iconoid, so I'm hopeful it will work out. Wow, it gives a beautifully clean and organized desktop. If it doesn't work, I'll look at Iconoid again.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146440

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice