1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how can i restore my hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fro, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fro

fro Thread Starter

hello..i have a customized pc.. you know that with dell, hp, or compaq you can restore the pc to the factory ..... i want to know if there is a way to do that in my customized computer.. or just a clean up (delete everything)(just if it were new) i then will install the os and all the drivers.. please help me with this.. :)

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, but it takes a few more steps. You should have a Windows XP CD, this CD is bootable as long as the boot order in the BIOS includes the CD-ROM in the boot order. When you boot off the CD and start the XP install you will be given options to delete the current partition and to format the partition - if you select to delete the partition everything off the hard drive will be gone and you can install XP like new. Then you'll have install XP and install all the drivers for your Video, sound, modem, etc as well as reinstall your programs. Your hardware should have come with driver CD's or ypou can download the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website and install those.

3. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

...to take what Triple6 said one step further, with a program like Norton Ghost, when you have completely rewritten your drive, installed all your drivers and the applications/software that you want and need, you make an image of the new, improved system.

If anything should happen after that, all you would need to do is use your Ghost image to rewrite your hard drive and it will look exactly like it did when you first cleaned it up. (For all intents and purposes, it is your own Recovery CD.)

Hope this helps,

MBN

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I make an image for each one of my builds. This way it is easy to restore if there is a bad software / driver install or any problem. You can burn this image to a cdr; this way the image file does not take up room on another partition / drive.

5. fro

fro Thread Starter

thank you.. about making my restore cd.. please give me steps on how to do that.. and also where can i get that software

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Here is one. You want the True Image not server. It will have step by step instructions.

7. fro

fro Thread Starter

hehe.. how can i get that for free

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223813

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice