1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How can I run Fraps smoothly while gaming?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Key_Notes88, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Key_Notes88

Key_Notes88 Thread Starter

I'm playing Skyrim and I'm trying to record some awesome dragon battles on FRAPS. Of course, my FPS takes a MASSIVE hit when I start recording (from 60 FPS to 15-20 FPS). What do I need to improve in order to get a smooth frame rate while FRAPS and Skyrim are running together?

CPU - Intel Core i7-930 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core
    Graphic Cards - (2x-SLI) MSI 470GTX 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI
    Board - EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
    HardDrive - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
    RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)

I'm new to understanding computer Hardware and builds, any help in understanding is greatly appreciated.

2. nickgr5

nickgr5

Everything should run fine since you got a very nice machine. The first thing you should do it to check whether FRAPS is recording at the maximum allowed fps rate, or not. Select to record at 60+FPS, see If that helps. Also, it is vital that you should have the latest drivers for your graphics card.

If nothing of the above works, we will continue from here and try to find alternative solutions.

3. Key_Notes88

FRAPS is set at 60FPS and I have the latest nvidia drivers for my cards (285.62) as well. When I start recording it immediately drops to 30FPS, which is fine, but then after about 5 seconds, it decreases to 19-20FPS and never increases. I'm not sure what the recording uses as far as resources inside the computer, so I'm unsure what to look for for improvements. What do most lower end machines have to upgrade to get a better frame rate?

4. Key_Notes88

*bump, I really wanna be able to record guys. Can anyone help me out!? I've recently added some memory to my machine as well. I'm running 16GB's of ddr3 1600 corsair vengeance memory sticks. It seemed to give it a little boost but it's still running at like 20-25fps. Mainly around 20fps, again, any help is HIGHLY appreciated.

5. Key_Notes88

Okay so I figured it out, and am posting here for anyone else who might have the same issue. Simplemfix actually. Apparently, the vsync, which is automatically turned on in Skyrim but not easily turned off is what was causing the issue. After messing with the ini file in the Skyrim Game folder located in My Documents and turning off the vsync (along with mouse acceleration) fixed it. Now I can record glorious dragon battles at 30FPS, agreed its still not 60 but the change isn't very noticeable.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027427

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice