1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved How can I set default print preferences?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Harry32, Aug 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Harry32

Harry32 Thread Starter

Since installing a new computer last month, printing has become troublesome. I want default print preferences for all Word 2010 documents to be single-sided printing at Fast Draft quality, but I find no place to set such a default and have to open Printer Properties and make adjustments in the settings for nearly every document I print.

If I don't go through this irritating and time wasting process, documents will often print double-sided or at 'Normal' quality. It's very rare that I need 'Normal' or 'Best" quality (both of which slow down the printer and use more ink) and it's even rarer that I want to print double-sided. How can I set the default preferences I want and be assured they will remain the default for all Word 2010 documents, whether printed by 'File, Print' or by clicking the Quick Print icon on the Quick Access toolbar?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690T CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8082 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 937757 MB, Free - 834403 MB; D: Total - 15904 MB, Free - 1875 MB; E: Total - 96 MB, Free - 56 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 2B0D
    Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Updated and Enabled

2. TulsaRose

TulsaRose

First Name:
    Rosie
    Harry, are you making the preferences in the Page Setup menu?

Attached Files:

3. draceplace

draceplace

this might be fixable in the profile settings of the printer

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I do not think it can be done for programs.
    But you should be able to set the single sided within the printer properties.
    But this will set ALL printing from ANY program to be single sided.

What printer make and model are trying to do this with?

5. Harry32

Harry32 Thread Starter

Dave -
    Not a problem. Regardless of what I'm printing or what program is involved I want the printing default to be single-sided and fast draft quality. I can change that setting, case by case, for special print jobs that require it. I'm surprised that this seems to be difficult - It's the setting that I would think most people use all the time.

6. draceplace

draceplace

What is the make and model of your printer?

7. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    We have a HP 1606dn. The default when we set it up, is to prints single sided and I am not sure about the draft settings as I do not use them.

It is a shared networked printer and on each machine and within each user account has their own default settings.

8. draceplace

draceplace

I think I'm looking for Harry32's printer? is it share\networked. If its local he should be able to set the defaults.

Else, One way I can think to do this is if the printer accepts PCL commands there would be a way to intercept the print stream and make the settings. Its a deep process.

It might be possible to record a macro in word that changes to single sided then use that Word Doc as a template for documents that need this. We can't do macros in word at work or I would test.

9. Harry32

Harry32 Thread Starter

My printer is an HP Officejet 5740 e-All-in-One, local, USB connected, accessible to no one but me. But I don't think the printer has anything to do with the strange printer default settings, which are determined by the computer and/or the Office 2010 software. The printer performs all its functions flawlessly. It's the computer that's not allowing me to set the default printing instructions that I want. I never had this problem before I installed a new computer a month ago. The new computer is an HP Pavilion 23-g325t All-in-One PC running Windows 7. The old computer was an HP Pavilion P7-1010t, also running Windows 7.

I hope this answers all the questions that have been raised. Now can someone please tell me how to set printing defaults that produce single-sided draft-quality output for everything?

10. draceplace

draceplace

Got to Start Menu -> All Programs -> HP (folder) -> select Icon with printer name -> Set Preferences -> Printing preferences. Should be able to make the adjustments you need there.

Also on the printer you may be able to go to the Settings (Icon has two gears) on the control panel and do similar configuration.

11. bulrush

bulrush

Even if it's a networked printer the OP can still go to Start, Devices and Printers, right click the printer, and click Printer Preferences or Printer Properties. Those prefs are saved as the default unless you change them, because these settings affect the print drive on the PC, not anywhere else. I do it all the time, as I have access to 3 network printers.

It works fine with my Office 2010.

12. Harry32

Harry32 Thread Starter

OK, guys. After following your suggestions, the default settings that I had been trying to establish now appear to be dependably in place. I've had no more strange printouts for the last couple days. Thanks very much for your help.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1153008

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice