1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How can I show only email contacts in Windows Mail?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by SurferGurl, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SurferGurl

SurferGurl Thread Starter

My 85 year old Uncle has a new Vaio with Vista, and loves it, except for one thing: On his old XP desktop, with Outlook, he can display only contacts that he emails. On this Vista machine, all contacts show. He wants it to look more like the other mail, just displaying contacts who have email addys. I'm only down here for a couple of days (I live almost 800 miles away) and could probably figure this out if I had more time, so I hate to bug you all... Thanks in advance for your time!

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    How do you do this in Outlook?
    I have been using Outlook (NOT Outlook Express) since Outlook 98 and have never seen this.

Or do you mean the drop down list that appears as he types in the address?

3. SurferGurl

Yep, that's what I'm looking for, I guess :eek:. Vista Win Mail is SO different... and I have such a limited time down here, or I could probably figure it out myself. My 85 year old uncle, who just started using computers about 4 years ago, needs things as simple as possible. Thanks again for your help.

4. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    The drop down list in Outlook is made as one type in a address to be sent. You will find that "Windows Mail" will also do this. Your Uncle has had several years in making this drop down list.

He is just going to have to start from scratch and type in each address or select from his contacts as he sends them emails, and they will be added to the drop down list.

5. SurferGurl

Sigh... I was hoping there was a 'magic' way to do this... Well, I'll be here in the desert for two more days... I'll get as many in the dropdown list as I can before I head back north, and write him a little procedure so he understands the differences... ya know... you gotta hand it to these 80-somethings who get their first computer, and are able to learn XP, Vista and remember their little differences... I hope I can learn as well at that age (one Aunt started at 92, another at 89, Mom at 82, other aunts and uncles in their early 80s! who says ya can't teach an old dog new tricks!)
    Thanks so much, DaveA for your help! It's people like you who are willing to take the time to share your knowledge that make the net livable!

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Thanks for the note back. I am 60Plus and have been around computers since the late 70's. I have taught many a class for Seniors, and they can learn new tricks. Even if OLD dogs can not. I had Seniors using XP in about a week after it hit the stores. Some organizations were NOT going to offer XP in the training classes for another year, as NO one would want XP. Just like today, no one wants Vista, I sure do keep busy help all the local Seniors, because the above org is just thinking about teaching Vista.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697292

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice