1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How can i shrink a 6.0 GB file to fit on a 4.7gb disk?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by kaaos, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kaaos

kaaos Thread Starter

ok here is what i am trying to do:

I am a Dj and I hate having to limit my mix to the 80 minute limit that all CDRs have as a limit. i just recently made a music mix that is 2 hrs and 40 minutes long. i know i can burn that mix as a dvd file with plenty of room to spare. i have 2 formats of this clip one is mp3 330 mbs @ 320kps and a wave file 1.5gbs.

since either file fits with plenty of room for more data on a DVD disk, i decided to go a bit more creative and add pictures and video to mix. used good old windows movie maker for the job and after adding pics and clips together with my audio mix my .wmv file was about964 mb, so i took the .wmv file and tried to burn it using roxio but the files it makes were just under 6.0 gbs. tried playing with the settings with in roxio to try and make a smaller .vob file but no luck. also tried dvd shrink and a similar program to fit on a standard dvd but it kept giving an error that said something like"INVALID BLOCK START AT .VOB"

it did not matter if i used the 1.5 gb(wav) audio file or the 330mb (mp3) they both resulted in the same size .vob file so i guess when writing the .vob files it gets written in its own audio format AC-3 (I think that is what it's called) regardless of what the original format was.

I suspect the main issue is the length of the movie not so much the audio

now i can give up and make a boring dvd mp3 disk but before i do that i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions.

basically i want to fit a 2hr 40min movie to one dvd. the quality of the image is not tas important as the audio quality

2. thecoalman

thecoalman

Export as DV-AVI especially if you are using DV-AVi material from a camcorder or DVD compliant material.... If it's DVD compliant to begin with you shouldn't be using WMM. WMM as far as DVD's go is only good for importing and exporting DV-AVI which is the format DV cam uses.

Anyhow to play on a standard DVD player it has to be DVD compliant. http://www.videohelp.com/dvd just like aduio you can adjust the bitrate of the video on a DVD. You'll have to look in Roxio to see if you can adjust these. You can also try some authoring software which will do all these things for you start to finish... Try Ulead Movie factory or Ulead Video Studio if you want to really get creative.

3. kaaos

kaaos Thread Starter

great info tnx.

the clips were off a website that offers royalty free clips that were mostly in .WMV format to start with and some in .avi

i think Roxio did have an option to have a lower bite rate. why didn't it n dawn on me..duhh.

i think its set to 2.1mbs (by default) so i'll lower it just a notch since im just getting short of the 4.7gb level i want.

thanks!(y) :)

man i was just thinking of that dvd you made with 20hrs of clips...WOW!

4. kaaos

kaaos Thread Starter

this is also good info for me, not for this issue but for importing my movie clips from my camcorder (uses digital HI 8). i also use roxio to import clips but i have been saving them as mpeg2. i did notice taht DV-AVI option but i never use it.

5. thecoalman

thecoalman

That was just a test, the video quality was extremely poor. If I was going to try and fit as much on a DVD as possible and still mainatin minimum acceptable quality I'd stick with a VCD spec video. That's a little less that VHS and will give you more than 7 hours.

6. thecoalman

thecoalman

Hi 8 or digital8?

For either format MPEG capture should only be done if you're using a harware encoder to capture with or quality is not an issue. To capture MPEG through software requires a tremendous amount of CPU to get decent results. Even on a very fast machine the quality will suffer.

7. kaaos

kaaos Thread Starter

VCD ...hmmm.. will it make that 900+ .wmv mb file fit on one cdr? this is seems like a cheaper solution for me since i plan on giveing the dvds out for free to friends.

8. kaaos

kaaos Thread Starter

digital 8 via usb 2.0

man i have to recapture all my clips but it will be worth it...tnx

9. thecoalman

thecoalman

Again wmv is not part of making DVD or VCD to play on astandalone DVD player. It's best use is for compressing source clips to play on a computer or websites from your

Which model, Few digital cams transfer the full DV quality over USB and I doubt a digital8 is going to have that feature. The video coming over USB is very low quality video, about what you can expect from a webcam.

Here's what I suggest you do. Go purchase a pci firewire card if you do not already have a firewire port on your computer and a firewire cable. Both of these can be picked up at the local electronics store for about $30 in total.

Download the trial versions for the programs I listed above. Personally I'd give Video Studio a try as that has more editying features which is what you seem to be interested in.

Plug your cam in via firewire and transfer the footage as DV-aVI, this a bit for bit transfer. It's no diferent than copying a file. This will give you an exact duplicate of the video on the cam... you can take it from there...

10. kaaos

kaaos Thread Starter

Sony TRV 250 ....i have to check later today when i get hoe to see if that cam has a fire wire connection. my sony laptop has a 4 pin so all i need is the wire since all i have is the 4 pin to 6 pin.
    tnx

11. kaaos

kaaos Thread Starter

so i think from what you are saying is that the wmv file i made can not be made to a vcd. i would have to start a new vcd compaltion. i just hope there is a way to mute the video tracks and add my own audio.

will try it out later tonight with either roxio8 or nero6

tnx

12. thecoalman

thecoalman

I'm not saying you can't but if the original source videos were very good you have gone from good>to bad>good. You can't recover the original quality. To maintain high quality you should do as little as possible to video and going through multiple conversions with varying resolutions is about the worse thing you can do. There is certainly nothing wrong with trying it if you want... I can't see it from my house.:D

Any decnt editor will allow you to do that. If for example you can only import one track use a audio editor like Audacity to create your single track and import it into the editor. Better editors allow you ro work with mulitple audio tracks.

Providing you have the versions that allow you to author they are fine but those are the bootom of the barrel as far as authoring and editing applications are concerned. If you want more options and better quality try some different applications. The sky's the limit as far as that is concerned. The ones I mentioned are for consumers too.

13. kaaos

kaaos Thread Starter

cool i think i got it all now and it amkes better sense. ill have to google and read VCD prog reviews and see what is out there

14. thecoalman

thecoalman

Most DVD apllications as a throwback will create VCD's. I wouldn't doubt that both Roxio and Nero have this capability. These CD's BTW will play in just about any standalone DVD player.

15. kaaos

kaaos Thread Starter

the nero version i have i know 4 sure has VCD. i sued it before a while back. i just cant remember how it worked but it wasn't dificult to figure out.

i jsut wan't to get this project done before this weekned becuase i have a gig and want to give out the discs asa promo tool.

tnx again!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/492332

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice