1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How can I sync iPhone calender with Hotmail calender?

Discussion in 'Archive: Phones & Handheld Devices' started by raygdw, Nov 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raygdw

raygdw Thread Starter

I have an iPhone 3g and have just changed computers to windows 7 64bit.
    My mail client is Windows Live Mail 2011
    I do not have Outlook.
    I would like to somehow sync my iPhoe and desktop calender so changes to either show on both. But I am reluctant to pay Apple for MobileMe.
    I can sync the desktop calender with an online Hotmail calender BUT how can I add the iPhone to this mix?
    Searching online I find folk suggesting ActiveSync but it is apparently not compatible with win 7 64bit (or so says Microsoft)

Any suggestions?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    heres the info regarding active sync
    No active link was for XP - then for vista windows Mobile Device center - which should be included in windows 7
    most of what i have seen requires outlook - i'll will continue to look

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  4. raygdw

raygdw Thread Starter

Thanks very much for both your posts. I really do appreciate the help.

I have tried what the threads in your second post suggest and it is almost working.

I say almost because firstly it wants to delete my existing calender from the iPhone and replace it with the Hotmail calender. However as the Hotmail calender is presently empty and all my valuable appointments are on the phone I can't do that. So I tried getting it to keep both even though it says that will cause duplicates. Who cares? The one calender is empty so it can't do too much damage (can it) But though that seemed to work it did not give me all the appointments only most and when I added a new appointment via the phone nothing changed on the Hotmail and therefore the WLM calender.

So I gues either I am doing something silly or there is a tweak I am missing.

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    maybe thats what you need to do and maybe thats the conflict
    So will the iphone sync with itunes on the pc and sync calendars there ?
    so at least you have a backup

6. raygdw

raygdw Thread Starter

Sadly not. It will only sync with Outlook via iTunes and as I have Office 2010 Home & Student I do not have outlook

7. raygdw

raygdw Thread Starter

Update.

I set it up as per the info in your artical. I told it to keep the existing calender and go ahead making duplicates. That was because the Hotmail calender is empty anyway.
    Now my Hotmail emails show on the iPhone BUT the calender in Hotmail remains empty. It did not pick up any of the iPhone appointments.
    I also entered a single 'test' appointment into the Hotmail calender and it did not arrive on the phone.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  9. raygdw

raygdw Thread Starter

Worth a try. I will report back

10. raygdw

raygdw Thread Starter

Tried it but no joy. Can't get a two-way sync between either Hotmail calender or WLM calender and the iPhone.

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i'm out of ideas - perhaps if I move to the Mobile Phone forum, someone may have an idea - if you get no replies in 24hrs - just reply with "bump" as you reply

12. raygdw

raygdw Thread Starter

Thank you for all your efforts. Yes please move the thread.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/962204

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice