Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How can I tell if my USB ports or 2.0 or lower

4K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
How can I tell if my USB ports are 2.0 or lower?
I have Windows XP Home
and my computer is a Dell Optiplex GX110
Thanks.

#2 ·
Open Device Manager and expand the USB Controllers section. If the word Enhanced appears as below, you have USB 2.0. Otherwise, you probably have USB 1.1. Given what I see on a search on your machine, I'd say you probably don't have USB 2.0, it's pretty old.

Attachments

#11 ·
my computer doesnt look like that model can fit into it. That card has like 3 sections (Im sorry mu computer knowledge doesn't go that far) where it would connect, but my computer looks like it can only fit a long one and a short one, while the example you showed me has a long and 2 shorts. Again I apologize for my lack of computer knowledge. I am positive I am looking at what you want me to.
Thanks.

#13 ·
This web site shows the difference between ISA and PCI ports. It also shows a picture of an ISA modem and a PCI modem so that you can see what the different connections look like. The PCI modem connects into the white slot (like the USB extension John Will showed you). The ISA modem connects to the black slot.

http://www.kids-online.net/learn/click/details/sharedpi.html

#14 ·
When you go to BEST BUY, know which slot you have open in your computer and tell them. They should know which card to sell you. Best Buy has great customer service. If you are really unsure and wanted a little more confidence, you could even take it a step further and take a picture of your mothreboard to show them.

You could even take your entire computer tower/case in if you really wanted too.

#19 ·
Why in the world would you pay that much? :eek: In addition, I really do recommend you stick with the NEC chipset, since it's been proven for years to be compatible with most everything you plug into it. I've had compatibility issues with ALi and VIA equipped USB 2.0 boards, but I've never had an issue with a NEC chipset.

#21 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.