1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How can i tell maxium amount of RAM a computer can handle?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sharky, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

how can i tell the maxmium amount of RAM my computer can handle?

Here's what belarc reports for RAM:

112 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 128 MB
    Slot 'A1' is Empty
    Slot 'A2' is Empty
    Slot 'A3' is Empty

2. Piringa

Piringa

Yeah mm'K, Belarc probably reports 112 only because your video memory might be shared or soemthing. Anyways check your motherboard pecs. The books dude. It all depends on your motherboard. Look in your motherboards manual, it answers that very question your asking.

ps. Oreo McFlurry's are goooood.

3. MCP

MCP

It also depends on what your operating system can handle. If you're using an old OS, and you overload it with too much memory, you can actually see performance loss. Although, I'll admit I'm not sure how this mass amounts of RAM would affect current systems. My rule of thumb is to equip a system with only what it's going to need.

::: EDIT :::
    Is that belarc report for a current system with Windows XP on it? If so, it's been my experience that although XP will operate on 128 MB of memory it won't do so very well. A system will preferably need 256 MB of RAM to run efficiently.

4. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

sharky: Go to this link, download the Enterprise edition, run it, look under Motherboard, go to mobo manufacturers website and look up the mobo specs when using the latest BIOS update. Link:

http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32

The mobo specs will tell you the MAXIMUM amount (and what speed BUS) of memory it will support and then the rest is dependent on the OS. Win98 best at 192MB, Win98SE best at 256MB, WinME best at 384MB, Win 2000 best at 512MB or 1Gig, WinXP Home best at 512MB, WinXP Pro best at 768MB or 1 Gig.

MCP: Win XP Home and Pro versions need a MINIMUM of 256MB RAM just to run. NOT all features of either OS will operate properly at that amount of RAM even then. Recommended amount is 512MB.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169392

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice