1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How can I tell what Bios I have

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by geno368, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. geno368

geno368 Thread Starter

I am working on a Dell Optiplex 620 that won't boot. I am getting beep codes, but don't know what mb bios I have. The mb is just marked Dell and I have the s/tag. How can I find out? Thanks

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

In short you cannot. No one knows if the bios was updated at some point. If you just mean what type ie ami, award, etc, then dell uses a phoenix/award type bios.

3. norton850

norton850

Stock BIOS listed as A11. Just curious why do you want to know what BIOS you have?

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

If this is a Dell Optiplex GX620 the beep codes for all 4 models of the machine are available on the Dell site.

5. norton850

norton850

"Just curious why do you want to know what BIOS you have?"

Sorry that was a stupid question.But wouldn't expect beep codes to change even with an updated BIOS.

6. geno368

geno368 Thread Starter

I just wanted to know if I needed to flash the bios. I am getting 4 long beeps and then 2 short ones. I am guessing it means keyboard error...but...how do I fix that when it won't boot???

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I can guarantee you that flashing the bios is NOT going to fix your problem.

Start with some basic troubleshooting. Open the case and reseat the video card and ram. Make sure the slots are clean; use a can of air to blow them out. Reseat the atx power connector [4pin if used also] Pull the pw connectors from ALL of your drives both hd and optical. Now see if it will pw ON and complete post. If it does great; shutdown and connect devices one at a time until you find the failed part. If it does not post, then swap in a known good pw supply for testing. Still no post and I would think your board has failed.

8. geno368

geno368 Thread Starter

Thanks for your help. I kept fooling with it and it finally booted. I got an error message that the system battery was low and the time was incorrect. I went into setup and changed the time and shut down the system. I then reseated both memory boards and unhooked the sata power connectors on all the drives. It has pci connections, so I don't know what to do about the video reseat...I then tried to boot again and kept on getting the beeps again..after leaving it off for 15 minutes, it finally booted. I checked the ps and got 4.9 v and 11.8v which, I think are within limits...right? I am now running a Hirens and doing a mem check while it is running...any suggestions now while it is on?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, first of all hirens boot cd is illegal and any reference to illegal downloads will result in your thread being closed.

Next 11.8V under a no load condition is pretty low. The 12V will drop even lower when stressed.

10. geno368

geno368 Thread Starter

sorry, I did not know it was...

11. geno368

geno368 Thread Starter

do the beep codes for the Award bios tell you anything? I think it is 4 long and then 2 shorter (not quick short ones)

12. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Fit a new CMOS battery, usually they are type CR2032 (silver coin shaped about 1 inch diameter).

If after fitting you get an onscreen message that the Bios needs setting up that's normal, set it to defaults and set the correct time. It should remember the time now.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976443

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice