1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How can I tell what type of video and sound cards do I have?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by GaPeach001, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GaPeach001

GaPeach001 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Leslie
    I know this is a dumb question to some, but I am an idiot when it comes to figuring this stuff out. I just bought my daughter the new Sims 2 game and it is not wanting to work because of DirectX something or another message I am getting, so I checked the box for the requirements and it says something about a certain type of video card that is required. So I am trying to figure out if I have that certain type. Once I determine that, I am sure I will be back to get suggestions on whether I can just download a driver for it (which I noticed can be done from the games forum) or if I am going to have to buy something to have installed. One step at a time though. And sorry if this is in the wrong forum! Please feel free to relocate it if necessary!

2. brindle

brindle

When this question is asked I always recommend D\Ling Everest Home Edition. It will give you that information and much more.

3. GaPeach001

First Name:
    Leslie
    I clicked on that link, and as great as that downloadable program sounds, the computer in question is not hooked up to the net. (it's my daughter's computer in her room) Is there a quicker way to right click on something to see what the video and sound programs are on her computer to see if they are compatible with the Sims 2 game? I am trying to figure out if I am better off to just purchase a new computer for her and use hers as my computer and sell my old one that I use for the net (old 400 mhz dinosaur) or if hers is upgradable...but I have so many things to check I just want to do one at a time. Any other suggestions on how to check this sound and video card stuff?

4. brindle

brindle

sure there is
    go to system information, expand components then click on multimedia for sound card and then display for the video card.
    system info.
    start
    run
    type msinfo32 in the box then click okay

5. GaPeach001

First Name:
    Leslie
    Wow. Good info to have...if I knew what I was looking for! :)
    I did it on my computer (just for kicks) and I came up with three different things under the multimedia:Gameport Joystick (which is interesting since I do not have a joystick!), Soundmax Integrated Digital Audio (huh?), and Microsoft Kernel System Renderer (huh? again!).

Then under Display I have: Intel(R) 810 Chipset Graphics Driver PV 2.1

Of course, both of these have a gazillion numbers and letters and dates, etc under them. I am going to try this on my daughter's computer and see what I come up with. (I am sorry! I am a total dork when it comes to computer stuff! I am doing good to turn it on and get online!)

6. GaPeach001

First Name:
    Leslie
    okay. Back again, and this time with the info from my daughter's computer:

Sound says "AC97 Driver for Intel 82801 Controller"
    and Video says "Display Intel 82810 Graphics Controller"

According to the Sims 2 box, which says the minimum requirements for sound and video are for video: DirectX 9.0 compatible, which myst have 32 MB or more of memory adn one of these T&L capable chipsets, ATI Radeon 7200 or greater or NCIDIA GeForce2 or greater...and for Sound it says the requirement is DirectX 9.0 compatible.

SO, my question is, does my daughter's computer have the compatible stuff or am I going to have to buy a new sound or video card (is that what it is called?) and what should I buy if so? AND, before you answer that, (tons of questions I know), one of my other concerns is that it says you have to have an 800 Mhz or faster CPU and hers is only a 700. Seems that could maybe slide by if everything else were in order, BUT (and you knew there would be a but in there somewhere) it requires 256 MB RAM and she only has 191.0 MB RAM (according to what I see when I right click on My Computer and click on Properties - did I find that correctly?)

How do you find how much free space there is on a computer? It requires 3.5 GB of free space, and I have no idea how to find it....am I a lost cause or what? Actually I think I am a pretty good project (and my daughter's computer) if someone can take the time to walk me through this craziness over the next week or so while I get everything this dang machine needs to run this darned game! She has been waiting for it since Spring, and now that it is finally out......uuuuugggggghhhh. I just don't know what to do.

Thanks again for helping, and please don't give up on me!

7. brindle

brindle

both your audio and video are integrated onto your motherboard.

8. GaPeach001

First Name:
    Leslie
    If it is intergrated onto the motherboard, is that a good thing or a bad thing? Mainly, is it a good thing or bad thing with my daughter's computer and this Sims 2 game?

9. brindle

brindle

10. brindle

brindle

that's not good

11. GaPeach001

First Name:
    Leslie
    Oh great! Wonderful answers! Maybe not wonderful "wonderful" but wonderful that you are able to answer in English and not "computer language".

Is it possible to just purchase a new processor that meets that 800 Mhz?

Is it possible to purchase more RAM to get up to the 256 MB required?

What kind of Video and Sound stuff should I purchase?

Is all of this stuff easily inserted in the computer (or installed or connected or whatever you would do to put it in there?)

Thanks so much for your patience with me!! I have always considered myself a fairly intelligent person....until now!

12. brindle

brindle

What kind of a computer is it? I'll look it up and see if it's capable of a larger CPU, and more ram. Although I would think that installing more ram is possible.
    I wouldn't bother with a sound card and if your MB supports a radeon7200 then go for that card.
    Yes these are easy upgrades. The hardest part can be installing the drivers for the video card. Nothing you would have trouble with though.
    while you find the make and model of your computer I'll look up the chip sets.
    Have you ever thought of helping your daughter build a new computer?

13. GaPeach001

First Name:
    Leslie
    It is an eMachine etower, 700 Mhz processor, Intel Celeron Processor, 191 MB RAM, 28.6 GB hard drive with 18.2 GB in free space (thank God something is compatible with that game!), and it has two CD ROM drives (one is a regular CD drive and the other is a R/W drive, although I have never used it and probably would take an act of God for me to figure out how to use it! It is a pretty good computer, and really not bad for a $112 ebay purchase a year ago!

As far as building a new computer, I would have NO IDEA where to even start!! I think once I ventured into the adding memory or upgrading to a faster processor and stuff like that, then I could move on to building something from scratch (eeeekkk! - the thought right now terrifies me!)

14. brindle

brindle

does it have a model number,,,,,this might no be so bad!

15. GaPeach001

First Name:
    Leslie
    On the back, under Model no. it has eTower 700ir

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275782

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice