How can I temporarily disable anti-virus?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kenneth7379

Ken
My Windows 7 64 bit runs Malwarebytes and Avira security. I recently ran a check to make sure I was running the newest version of Firefox. Since then, things aren't working well. Lots of times when I try to engage one of my bookmarks or play a video, I'll suddenly get a message that I'm not connected to a network, or the computer can't find Google, or videos freeze. I want to do a system restore in hopes of getting back to a time a few days ago when everything worked fine. However, when I try to run System Restore, the process fails, and the explanation is that it's probably because I have a security program running. I can't figure out how to temporarily shut off Malwarebytes and Avira. Do I need to delete the programs from my computer and reinstall them later, or is there an easier way that I'm missing?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit, Build 7601, Installed 20120529081952.000000-420
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
Hard Drives: C: 224 GB (172 GB Free);
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 1495, s/n 2UA2310V4Z
System: Hewlett-Packard, ver HPQOEM - 1072009, s/n 2UA2310V4Z
Antivirus: Avira Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

managed

Allan
You can right-click the Malwarebytes icon near the clock at bottom right then click on 'Quit Malwarebytes', that will turn it off, it will turn on again automatically after the System Restore.

Avira should be similar, right-click it's icon then click on 'Enable Real-Time Protection' to remove the tick.

If you can't see the icon(s) click on the up arrow if present to reveal any hidden icons.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What you also need to consider is what protection you are actually receiving from Avira and to a lesser extent malwarebytes
To a certain extent any AV app can only provide base core protection to an OS that is in itself not supported and updated by Microsoft.

This is to some extent made clear on malwarebytes site
Malwarebytes for Windows support for Windows 7 – Malwarebytes Support

• Updated
  • May 10, 2021 17:24
Malwarebytes is committed to continue support for Windows 7 for as long as Microsoft allows us to. This stand means that we'll continue offering our core anti-malware protection to the best of our ability, given technical limitations. For more information surrounding these limitations, please refer to the following Malwarebytes Frequently Asked Questions.

and indeed Avira
Support Product Lifecycle (avira.com)

kenneth7379

Ken
Thanks. The suggestion on how to turn off anti-virus worked. My system completed a successful Restore, but unfortunately it restored to a point earlier today, which wasn't far enough back to resolve the problem. I tried restoring to an earlier point, but the only two earlier dates shown are for Critical Updates, rather than normal restore points. I tried using them, but in both cases, I got the notice that the system didn't restore successfully because of anti-virus. In both cases, I went back and manually turned off Malwarebytes and Avira again because it seemed to be turning itself back on again automatically. But it still won't successfully Restore again.

kenneth7379

Ken
I just checked my system again, but the first site I tried to bring up shows a screen saying I'm not connected to a network. I'm tearing my hair out.....Can't figure out where to go from here.

managed

Allan
As a test try a different browser, if you have Edge already try that, or any other should do.
I'm most familiar with Vivaldi if you want to try that :- https://vivaldi.com/download/

Of course you will have to download one on a computer with working Internet, you can then put the download onto a USB stick to transfer it to the problem computer.

kenneth7379

Ken
I have Firefox and Internet Explorer and the problem is with both of them, so I'm not sure it's a browser issue. I tried installing Vivaldi but couldn't understand it so I deleted it.

The problem with linking onto internet is very intermittent. Things will be fine for a period of time and then suddenly I'll get a screen that says I'm not connected. If I manually make it go to Google, it comes back for a few minutes but will revert to the problem without warning. Happens on Firefox and Internet Explorer.

kenneth7379

Ken
I did end up uninstalling both Malwarebytes and Avira, and finally managed to do a successful System Restore. The bad news is that it didn't solve my problem. Trying to uninstall Firefox is an option, I guess, but the same problems are happening when I go into the computer on Internet Explorer as well, so I suspect this goes deeper than a browser issue. I have a feeling that something more dramatic has happened, and I initially thought it might be some type of malware, but neither Avira or Malwarebytes is detecting anything. If there's a piece of free security software that's better than what I'm using, I'd be willing to try something new.

One of the things I find curious is that when I clear my History on Firefox (which I do daily), the appearance and format of the History screen has changed quite dramatically. Darned if I know what that means, but it's a symptom I've never encountered on any computer I've used over the last fifteen years. The other thing is that when I opened up Internet Explorer this morning, there was a site open that I had real trouble getting rid of.....Even when I logged out of the site, collapsed the screen, erased the IE History, removed the site from my IE Bookmarks, and did a power down/reboot of the computer, it wouldn't go away. I spent a couple of hours screwing around, but the only thing that finally made the site disappear was when I finally managed to do a successful System Restore.

I'm going to struggle with this over the weekend and try to solve it, but I'm already contemplating either taking the computer to an expert to see if it can be sorted out by someone more knowledgeable, or alternately, just buying another new/reconditioned tower from Newegg if they still carry anything loaded with Windows 7. I really can't afford either of those alternatives, but I'm retired and the computer's central to everything I do in life. I'm already going snaky without it.

kenneth7379

Ken
One more thing I'd like to add here, if I'm not already beating a dead horse.....Hopefully this will be meaningful to someone with the skills to diagnose my problem. It's become apparent over the course of today that one other thing has changed drastically - My computer is now reverting into sleep mode in just a matter of a few minutes. It used to go for an hours or even several hours before this would happen, but now, if I get up to get a coffee, when I come back in five minutes or so, the computer will be starting into hibernation mode.

Something has changed quite dramatically in a very short time. I haven't done anything unusual that would have prompted it, but the tendency to go-to-sleep very quickly, the appearance of the "you're not connected to a network" message about half the time when I click onto a new site, the freezing half-way through videos, and sometimes failing to load videos so they'll start playing...These things are all telling me that my computer's sick beyond a normal failure of software such as a browser.

Anybody got any ideas? I really appreciate any expertise you can offer.

kenneth7379

Ken
I've discovered that there is one thing that seems to influence how likely the screen is to freeze when I'm playing a video. If I move the mouse while the pointer is in the field of the screen, it seems to trigger the video to stop and it's tough to restart. Is there a setting somewhere on the Control Panel that would make video playback less sensitive to motion of the mouse pointer?

Also, I checked the power settings that determine how quickly the monitor shuts down and the computer goes to sleep. Both settings were set to 5 hours, but I've change the setting to Never, so we'll see if that has any positive impact on whether the system still goes into Hibernation.

I'm hoping that there may be a series of settings changes that will correct enough of the issues I'm having, one at a time, that will return the computer to some degree of usability. If there's anything else you can think of - perhaps something that reinforces the ability of the computer to return to the home page I've set (Google) rather than going to the "You're not connected to a network" screen, please feel free to suggest it.

I've decided to give fixing this system one more try over the weekend, but if I can't solve it myself with your help by Monday, I'll start investigating either taking it to a technician for repair, or possibly just giving up on it and buying a new tower.

I appreciate any suggestions you can offer before I just throw up my hands and give up.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
How are you connected - wireless or wired ethernet

Open a cmd prompt with admin rights and run a system file check on the cmd
sfc /scannow

If it reports errors cannot be fixed reboot and run it again
if it still reports errors cannot be fixed repeat again after a reboot

I do not need the log at this stage simply post the result please as shown in the cmd window

kenneth7379

Ken
Hi, thanks for your response. I did as you suggested, running a cmd sfc/scannow administrator command prompt and the results is "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations"

Stuff like this is really above my pay grade, so I'm not sure what that means......Does that indicate that there isn't some type of malware responsible for whatever's happening?

If there's a next step or additional action I can take, I'm ready to proceed. Thanks.

By the way, the system is a wired ethernet connection if that's relevant.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
No it is not connected with any malware or virus issue check it is a check of system files
The problem MAY be a drive issue
Go back to the cmd prompt and this time on the C prompt issue the cmd
chkdsk /r
if the response is
The drive is in use do you wish to close all open handles
Y/N
then type
N
the response then will be do you wish to run on restart Y/N
OR that may be the first response
Type Y
restart the system and the chkdsk will run it is a five stage check
When you have done that I will post how to get the results of the check.

IF you watch the check proceeding we are looking for reported bad sectors

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online