Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How can I temporarily disable anti-virus?

10K views 113 replies 5 participants last post by  Macboatmaster 
#1 ·
My Windows 7 64 bit runs Malwarebytes and Avira security. I recently ran a check to make sure I was running the newest version of Firefox. Since then, things aren't working well. Lots of times when I try to engage one of my bookmarks or play a video, I'll suddenly get a message that I'm not connected to a network, or the computer can't find Google, or videos freeze. I want to do a system restore in hopes of getting back to a time a few days ago when everything worked fine. However, when I try to run System Restore, the process fails, and the explanation is that it's probably because I have a security program running. I can't figure out how to temporarily shut off Malwarebytes and Avira. Do I need to delete the programs from my computer and reinstall them later, or is there an easier way that I'm missing?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit, Build 7601, Installed 20120529081952.000000-420
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
Hard Drives: C: 224 GB (172 GB Free);
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 1495, s/n 2UA2310V4Z
System: Hewlett-Packard, ver HPQOEM - 1072009, s/n 2UA2310V4Z
Antivirus: Avira Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

See less See more
#107 ·
OK sorry about that it was worth a try
The Intel driver is not really designed for integrated chips on the motherboard which is what you have, but your board site does not offer a newer driver and will not do so.
So you are stuck with the old driver from 2011
It will not I think help if you were to uninstall the driver that you have and then try the Intel driver, as I do not think it will work.

I KNOW you do not want to go to 10, but you have to accept that Windows 7 is going to become more difficult to work with
AntiVirus apps will increasingly cease to support 7, as they will gradually, as some have already no longer offer security updates to their AV program for 7

I think you will just have to accept that 7 will become an increasing problem area overtime.

I am NOT suggesting that your present difficulties are due to this problem

I do not know what is causing the difficulties

Please test it for video problems on YouTube as you had and any other problems you encounter

I am signing off now and will see how things are going for you about 1900 hrs tomorrow

DO NOT FORGET to install an AV

#110 ·
Incidentally, I removed Internet Explorer from my taskbar (closest I could get to eliminating it) and downloaded Edge. I can't make head nor tails of it....I spent an hour trying to make Google my home page instead of Bing but finally gave up. This has me wondering if the Windows 10 computer I bought and then returned was set up with the Edge browser and maybe that's why I was having so much trouble with it. If I switched to Windows 10 operating system and selected Firefox as my browser, would it look familiar and easier to operate?

#111 ·
How are we doing for losing internet connection and for video on YouTube with then updated driver
Is the tunneling adapter still showing with the warning

I will have to leave for an hour or so shortly, unexpected visitor to see me about 1930

I will guide you as to setting google as home page on Edge which is what I have., when I come back

What version of driver is shown now for the ethernet it was as you know 11.13.51.0

#112 ·
Have to go visitor has arrived see you about - one hours time

#113 ·
I tried that Edge browser and it is horrible. I've come to the conclusion that my dislike for Windows 10 was because of the Edge browser.

I'm going to switch to Windows 10 with Firefox browser. I looked at the procedure for changing from 7 to 10, but it's more than I can handle. My printer's out of ink, and the process is too complex for me to do it from memory. I'm going to turn the computer over to a technician with instructions to change it to Windows 10 with Firefox browser.

#114 ·
Cheers good luck with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.