How can I test my dial-up connection?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bellgamin

I use dial-up [sob]. :(

For the next couple of weeks I will temporarily have two ISPs. Both of them are local outfits here in Hawaii.

When the 2 weeks are done, I will drop one of these ISPs and keep the one which [hopefully] is the better of the two.

Both of these outfits are very reliable. I'm on a first name basis with the tech folks at both of them. They are friendly & helpful in every way. So my decision between them will have to be based mainly upon connection speed.

Right now the only thing I have for gauging their relative speeds is the little computer icon in my system tray which represents the fact that I am connected. As you know, when I float my cursor over that icon, it will tell the present connection speed, bytes sent, & bytes received.

For ISP #1, EVERY connection to date has reflected a speed of 53333 bps.

For ISP #2, the connection speed for about 40% of connections reflects a speed of 53333, just like ISP #1. The other 60% of connections show a speed of only 31200 bps. I mentioned this fact to their tech guy & he said that ALL their modems are 56k, & that the variance was likely caused by my phone line.

QUESTIONS:
1) How accurate are the speed readings that I get from the little computer icon in my system tray?
2) Is there a software program that will give me more definitive data about what is going on with my connection?

Concerning Q2, what I want is a program that will tell me whether a slow-down is because of [a] my dial-up connection, OR is because of conditions that lie beyond my own connection/ISP.

P.S. All you rich people with broadband, please don't curl your lips at us po' folks.

peace unto all........bellgamin

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online