1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How can I test my dial-up connection?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by bellgamin, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

    bellgamin Thread Starter

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2001
    Messages:
    123
    I use dial-up [sob]. :(

    For the next couple of weeks I will temporarily have two ISPs. Both of them are local outfits here in Hawaii.

    When the 2 weeks are done, I will drop one of these ISPs and keep the one which [hopefully] is the better of the two.

    Both of these outfits are very reliable. I'm on a first name basis with the tech folks at both of them. They are friendly & helpful in every way. So my decision between them will have to be based mainly upon connection speed.

    Right now the only thing I have for gauging their relative speeds is the little computer icon in my system tray which represents the fact that I am connected. As you know, when I float my cursor over that icon, it will tell the present connection speed, bytes sent, & bytes received.

    For ISP #1, EVERY connection to date has reflected a speed of 53333 bps.

    For ISP #2, the connection speed for about 40% of connections reflects a speed of 53333, just like ISP #1. The other 60% of connections show a speed of only 31200 bps. I mentioned this fact to their tech guy & he said that ALL their modems are 56k, & that the variance was likely caused by my phone line.

    QUESTIONS:
    1) How accurate are the speed readings that I get from the little computer icon in my system tray?
    2) Is there a software program that will give me more definitive data about what is going on with my connection?

    Concerning Q2, what I want is a program that will tell me whether a slow-down is because of [a] my dial-up connection, OR is because of conditions that lie beyond my own connection/ISP.

    P.S. All you rich people with broadband, please don't curl your lips at us po' folks.

    peace unto all........bellgamin
     
  2. monted

    monted

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2002
    Messages:
    860
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Loading...
Similar Threads - test dial connection
  1. roix
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    328
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113142

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice