1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How can I TRANSFER files from an old computer to a new one?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by helpseeker, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. helpseeker

helpseeker Thread Starter

I got a new computer with Windows XP Pro to replace my old Win98SE one. I want to transfer many, but not all, files and folders from old to new.

The new comp has 2 HDDs: one is primary and has everything on it; the other is there, is recognized, but has nothing on it.

I connected hdd2 to the old comp as a second (slave) drive, thinking I would copy the files to this hdd and then put this drive back in the new comp and transfer from it to the main drive. It's recognized by the old comp on bootup and in Device Manager, but not by Windows Explorer.

My guess is that the drive is formatted for XP and isn't compatible with 98. Is this correct? Any suggestions?

As Plan B, I copied the files to my Buslink L30 external hdd, and then went to transfer to the XP comp, but it doesn't have the drivers for the Buslink, and couldn't get them online, so it doesn't work. The CD that came with the Buslink only has 98 and 2000 drivers, and the XP comp doesn't consider them usable. Any suggestions?

I've heard of Laplink, but my understanding is that it moves everything, including the OS, which I certainly don't want to do. Is this correct? Or is Laplink the way to go? If it is, is there a freeware or shareware equivalent that will let me select which files to move?

If I have to move these files by CD I'm gonna need another room, as well as a lot of time and money.

All help will be appreciated. Thank you.

2. lister

lister

Pull the drive from the old Win98 PC and install it in place of the second drive in the new PC and copy the files over - XP (NTFS format by default) can read and write to Fat/32 formatted drives.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's unusual for a USB external drive to need drivers for anything but W98SE, ME/2K/XP should have native drivers for USB mass storage. Of course, if you're having issues with the USB drive, lister's suggestion will do the trick anyway. :)

4. johnpost

johnpost

what lister suggested is best, if usb doesn't work.

if primary drive in new pc is jumpered as master then the old drive
    is jumpered as slave as you did.

if primary drive in new pc is jumpered as cable select then jumper
    old drive as cable select and place on middle position on cable.

in bios have second drive set as autodetect

5. helpseeker

helpseeker Thread Starter

Thanks a ton; it worked fine.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536847

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice