1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How can I underline a word?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by buf, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buf

buf Thread Starter

Don't really know where this question should be asked but how can I do what the subject line asks?
    I can recall that using a typewriter I would type the word and then back space and hold the shift key and hit the 6 which has (had?) the underline symbol. How can I do it with win98SE or does this require software?
    Someone has asked me this question and I have been meaning to ask you folks. And as usual, TIA.:D

2. brindle

brindle

lets see if this works

3. brindle

brindle

ok it's bracket u bracket then the word you want to underline then bracket /u bracket.

bracket =[ ]

4. buf

buf Thread Starter

brindle:
    Thanks for your reply. Do you mean like this ?

I should have indicated the use of the underline while typing an email or other such document; not just on TSG!! Hope this posts the way I think it will!!:D

5. brindle

brindle

In incredimail, OE, MsWord you can choose B=bold I=italicize U=underline for an individual word or complete paragraphs.
    Does this answer your question?

6. buf

buf Thread Starter

Most adequately, thank you. I seldom use OE for emails and did not realize underlining was an option. 95% of my emailing is done through my ISP web mail and I suppose that is not an option that is provided. I do occasionally use hotmail and that may be an option there. Wordpad has this option and I now know how to do that but I did NOT know this until today!!

BTW, hope you have the happiest Birthday of all tomorrow. Have a few good cyber friends in Washington State---all good people and I know you must be also.

7. brindle

brindle

Thank you so much buf, I appreciate your B-wishes and kind words

8. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Going back to the early days of word processors, but it still works, was to hit ctrl B both before and after a word. The same is true for ctrl + I and crtl + U for B=bold I=italicize U=underline

Those won't apply for when you are using IE because ctrl B brings up bookmarks/favorites as does ctrl I

9. buf

buf Thread Starter

NiteHawk thanks for your time. Wouldn't you know it, I only use IE and never knew much about Netscape. That is my loss, I guess.

10. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Personally, the last Netscape I used was 4.78 which was PRE-AOL owning Netscape. Took a look at 6.0 and didn't like it. Maybe someday I'll look at whatever the "latest and greatest" is at the time.

I am just NOT an AOL fan. That's about as nice as I can put it. :)
    Every piece of software they have ever acquired they have either bloated, turned into a non stop ad machine, turned into crap, or all of the above.

Just as an aside, there is serious talk/rumor that Time Warner is about to spin off AOL and then try to unload it. In their case the meeting of new media with old media was a dismal failure.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167257

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice