1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How can I uninstall Windows Media Player>

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by mikeyp23, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mikeyp23

mikeyp23 Thread Starter

Hello people, as nobody helped me with my problem im resorting to removing the program from the PC entirely. However I cant delete the folder as it says it is being used whenever i try. Ive also tried the Add/Remove programs function but thats no good either.

Does anyone know how I can delete Windows Media Player 9? Help is appreciated greatly...

2. chalky

chalky

You can't on XP...possible with 98 though...information at the link below...

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-957704.html

At the bottom of the page in the above link... someone has posted a fix to remove it from XP...remember though..although they say it worked for them it may not for you....

3. maximo

maximo

hey panjo what is your OS? if it is XP or ME, do the following: go to Start, Run, type in: RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\Windows\INF\wmp.inf,Uninstall then click Ok. hope that helps you!!:)

4. somak_de

somak_de

try this:
    --------------
    Go to Start Run Type in

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\Windows\INF\wmp.inf,Uninstall

Then click Ok

Now go back to Start | Run
    To re-install WMP8
    Copy or type

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection InstallWMP64 132 c:\windows\inf\mplayer2.inf
    (Point it to the Windows XP CD)
    rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection InstallWMP7 132 c:\windows\inf\wmp.inf
    (Point it to the Windows XP CD)
    ---------------

it is same as of maximo only it has a option to reinstall wmp8 in case you need

5. bob054

bob054

If you have windows xp, go to 'add and delete' BUT click "ADD AND DELETE WINDOWS PROGRAMS" . Click the box for the media player. Make sure thats all that is checked. Click delete. If you have regseeker, go there, clean registry and finish the job
    Bobby

6. Skudge

Skudge

How do you get rid of the windows media player folder from c:\programs files?

7. grimreapor

grimreapor

if youve got windows xp then you go to add/remove-select the third item in the column on the left(add/remove windows components) a box should ope up with some more options you can remove scroll down to you see windows media player select it only next it and follow the instructions
    this should uninstall it for you with out issues

8. Skudge

Skudge

Yes I know how to uninstall it. I want to know how to remove the folder from c:\Program files?

9. maximo

maximo

it sounds as if all you really need to do is manually go to : C:/Program Files/Windows Media Player; high-lite WMP folder once, hold Shift, while the Shift is held down press the Delete button; you will get a pop-up asking if this is what you really want yes or no in your case yes if you want to delete it. !!!NOTE!!!! if you do it this way, its gone for good, as opposed to just deleting it, and it going to the Recycle Bin, and then clearing it from the Recycle Bin. it goes to the Recycle Bin just in case you want to restore the folder, (in case of accidental deleting). hope this helps!! :)

10. Skudge

Skudge

no that doesent work

11. grimreapor

grimreapor

did you uninstall it thought add/remove first then tryed to delete the file..............
    if yes..
    then it sounds like some programs need the wmp installed to work propperly (eg.msn,bs,kazaa) but away round this is to install another player (eg.realone pro or sumthin) and select all options for what to play default so essencally its not needed for anything to run
    plz tell me if it solves your problem.

12. Skudge

Skudge

I have winamp as my default player. The only other hing I can think of is Sonic Advenure DX. It says that wmp9 must be installed to run.

even if a wmp reliant program isnt running will wmp folder refuse to delete?

13. grimreapor

grimreapor

yes i think it will because the system knows a program needs it to run so it wont allow you to remove wmp9 just try removing sonic temp to see what happens

14. Skudge

Skudge

Ive tried removing sonic but I still cannot delete the WMP folder it says it's currently in use by another program.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219571

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice