How can i use my Pc as a router having to Nic cards?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

au10tic

Hi you all, im currently having a problem where i have this device for a VOIP product that requires a router in order to function. Now i was wondering if i could you a second Network card and have My PC act as a router, can you guys help me please.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Why don't you tell us what "device" we're talking about. Perhaps it's just a mis-understanding. :)

bearone2

Banned
not in this lifetime.

a router is a router, a pc a pc.

the router connects the pc's for file/print sharing and internet with nat protection in, not out.

Windows 2003 server and 2000 server make decent routers. I use one everyday.

I have put an additional NIC in a Windows 2000 Professional box but it will never be a true router. XP Pro and 2000 Pro cannot be true routers, but I have used them to route packets. For example. I put two NICs in a PRO box. Connected one NIC to the live network and set the other NIC to a private range. I put a single HP laserjet printer on the other NIC with the private address range. I was able to print that printer from anywhere on the network all day long.

That is kind of like routing but not true routing.

You really need Windows 2000 Server or Windows Server 2003.

Dave.

bearone2

Banned
"That is kind of like routing but not true routing."

a router is a router is a router plain and simple.
i don't know anyone not using a router to use one internet connection for multiple computers but you don't mention any internet ties in your ramblings, just the printing from everywhere. whuptido.

is it like kinda pregnant.

your little pretend router is sharing a printer, seeing what's on the other computers, that's all.:cool:

bearone2 said:
not in this lifetime.
a router is a router, a pc a pc.
http://www.answers.com/topic/router. Note the section: "With the proper software, ordinary PCs can be made into routers ..." and a list of the appropriate software, with links, is provided. Smoothwall, the Linux Router Project being the best known examples but there are many others.
Even bog-standard Windows ICS is a basic software router, routing either out onto the Internet on one NIC or to the LAN subnet on a second NIC. Many people use ICS to share one internet connection for multiple computers through a single PC that has two NICs - that's about the only purpose for ICS existing in the first place!
Whether this provides what the poster wants is an entirely different issue.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
That was the reason for my original query, I'm just waiting until it sinks in that we need more information to intelligently address the problem. :D

bearone2 said:
"That is kind of like routing but not true routing."

a router is a router is a router plain and simple.
i don't know anyone not using a router to use one internet connection for multiple computers but you don't mention any internet ties in your ramblings, just the printing from everywhere. whuptido.

is it like kinda pregnant.

your little pretend router is sharing a printer, seeing what's on the other computers, that's all.:cool:
That was my second post on this board. My intention was to share information or an experience.

It is true that I rambled and that my printing solution was elementary, but I truly did not expect to be mocked for sharing my thoughts.

Dave

bearone2

Banned
Eastwood said:
That was my second post on this board. My intention was to share information or an experience.

It is true that I rambled and that my printing solution was elementary, but I truly did not expect to be mocked for sharing my thoughts.

Dave
your own stament:

"That is kind of like routing but not true routing." :confused:

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Actually, there are many packages to use a PC as a router or gateway. Many folks use something like Smoothwall as a router.

However, before we hijack the original poster's thread, why not keep on-topic?

au10tic, I'm still waiting for a decent explanation of what parts you have, and exactly what problem you're trying to solve. Your post doesn't give enough details to even guess at a solution to whatever issue you have.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online