1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How can limited users fully use ALL programs?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by marie500, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

Still trying to find my way through the new XP!
    I'm the XP Administrator account, two other users have limited accounts. Limited account users aren't allowed to perform simple actions in NIS and Cookie Jar programs (maybe more, those programs are the ones I know of now). How do I let limited accounts fully use ALL programs on the computer?

Norton Internet Security.....This is the big, BIG, huge problem. Limited accounts aren't allowed to "Clear Security Alert" when it starts flashing red in the NIS tray icon. When you click on "Clear Security Alert", a message popup box tells you that Administrator priveleges are required for the action.

How can I allow other users to actually USE all parts of these (and all) programs? I can't find appropriate settings anywhere. The "Program Access and Defaults" looked to be the ticket, but wasn't.

Do we all have to be Administrators? The message doesn't say "ASK the Administrator to give you full access", it says you can't do it because you don't have "Administrator priveleges." (Are "Administrator priveges" different from the "Administrator account"?)

2. tnik

tnik

This is a problem that most have faced.. Even I, at first I said screw it, and killed all users and only have one account that everyone uses.. but that becomes a pain in the you know what.. The key to installing software, and setting up the users is stated in the webpage below..

http://www.jimthompson.net/xphome/InstallingSoftware.htm

Hope this helps..

3. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

Thanks - lots of different tricks on that page to attempt. I tried two that looked pretty easy but can't claim success yet. Now I'm thinking his Sharing tab suggestion might work. I'll try that after I get reorganized. Appreciate it!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!