1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how caqn i format my hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by clanham, Oct 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. clanham

clanham Thread Starter

i am using windows XP home, and when i go and try to run in dos prompt it runs it using safe mode and dos prompt.

i want to do a complete wipe of my hard drive and i only have one hard drive.

ne help would be greatful

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Boot with the xp cd [cd drive set as first boot device in the bios] After setup loads you will be given a menu to install or repair; choose to install. Next menu shows all partition that you can install xp to; since you have only one install there. Next menu lets you delete the partition, do so. Next menu lets you create one or more partitions [if you want to partition your hd into more than one partition now is an excellent time to do so]
    Next menu lets you format, after format setup continues to load xp.

3. roban

roban

You can also use a Win98 bootdisk. Boot without CDROM support and at the "a" prompt type format c:

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Black Viper has a nice step by step guide on installing Windows XP.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That would only work with fat32 not with ntfs. If he is running ntfs then it would not even see a hd. That is one reason not to use dos / win9x utilities to install nt based os.

6. clanham

clanham Thread Starter

ty peeps my HD was a fat32 and i found my old win98 boot disk,
    now i have the problem of win xp will not load on my wiped HD so i am out of a comp for a few days

7. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Did you follow the guide I posted above. You dont need a 98 boot disk to install XP. The XP cd is bootable and gives you the option to create and delete partitions and then format them.

8. clanham

clanham Thread Starter

i managed to get win XP on my comp ( the reason it wasnt loading was of my network cable, i unpluged it and it loaded first time)but i have the problem of my monitor keeps disconecting itself and i have to restart the comp to get my monitor back, this happens about every 10 - 20 mins

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172304

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice