1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved How change Asus motherboard drive boot order?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pcguy9441, Sep 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

I was tinkering around swapping drive cables to attach an extra drive I was troubleshooting and in the process disconnected the "C" drive (on purpose) to boot from the other HD with no risk of messing up my main drive. I was planning on installing some drivers on that drive.

When done with the process I find my boot order is messed up and the only way to boot from my main "C" SSD is to go into the BIOS and manually select. I recall this from the past. If you remove the "C" drive physically and boot from something else, the BIOS changes the boot order and you have to go back and fix it.

I have an Asus Z87M-Plus motherboard and the manual is useless for this, as are several youtube videos and other info from google. They all basically say "go into the BIOS and change the sequence".

Just one problem, the method for changing the sequence on this board is very cryptic and unintuitive. I figured it out and did it years ago and it was a head-slapping experience once I figured it out. Now, many dead brain cells later, I just don't get it. Or maybe the BIOS is messed up? I wonder if a master reset/clear would help?

See photos below, and thanks for any help!

I need to get drive P1 below moved to the top of the list (I think) as the first hard drive.
    Right now it thinks P2, a non-active data drive is the boot drive, so rebooting kicks me into the BIOS.

Capture1.JPG
    Circled is the boot drive selection list BUT it does not contain the drive I want. I understand you can only have a HD in the list circled below and it takes the first HD it finds from the list above. The manual explains none of this.
    Capture2.JPG

Capture1.JPG

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Change the hard drive BBS. It is on the first pic you uploaded. This is where you will select which drive boots when you select hard disk as the first [or second boot device]

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW that is normal for asus motherboards; first you select which drive you want first then select hard drive as a boot device.

4. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

Sorry, what's "BBS"? somethingBootSequence?

I can move the sequences around in that top drop-down menu but it does not contain my SSD drive aka "C".

The P2 WDC... drive is just a logical data drive.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Try disconnecting ALL drives except the one you want to boot. Pw ON and enter the bios; make sure that one is listed. If it is not listed, then the bios is not finding the drive ie drive failed, bad cable, bad pw connector, etc.

6. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

ok, good. that makes sense. It is seeing it as it shows up in 2nd photo as P1.

I'll try that. Thanks.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You should connect the drive you want as the boot drive to sata 0 or sata 1 [if the board starts numbering with 1. Most asus boards start with 1 however do check.

8. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

That fixed it! Remove all but "C" then add back one by one after shutdown each time.

Yeah, I always put the boot drive on the 1st port, in this case, they call it SATA1.

I'm thinking now that it worked before because I just happened to add the SSD boot drive first and never actually re-ordered the BIOS sequence in 2nd photo above. No wonder it was hard to figure out how to resequence the entries.

Thank you!

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are welcome. You can mark your own thread as solved using the button at the upper left. No need for this one; I will mark it for you.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1215875

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice