1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how connect external harddrive to router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by harpuneet88, Sep 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. harpuneet88

harpuneet88 Thread Starter

Hi guys

I have 1TB external Iomega harddrive which i want to connect with Dlink router by which i can share my files on my all 4 computers through router. My router have all ethernet ports not any USB point. I also have a connector which attach USB cable to ethernet. If i link through connector how i can access that drive on my computer? Please help me...:confused:

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

Hi harpuneet88, and welcome to TSG

Can you please describe this connector in more detail? Does it have manufacturer's name and model number on it? Is it just a cable with a USB plug on one end and an RS-45 Ethernet plug on the other end?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm interested in the exact make/model of that cable that connects USB to Ethernet. :)

4. harpuneet88

5. harpuneet88

Hi guys

I have 1TB external Iomega harddrive which i want to connect with Dlink router by which i can share my files on my all 4 computers through router. My router have all ethernet ports not any USB point. I also have a connector which attach USB cable to ethernet. If i link through connector how i can access that drive on my computer?

router DL524
    harddrive 1TB IOMEGA

USB to Ethernet connector(see under link)
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/USB-Female-E..._Networking&hash=item1c11c4f844#ht_3047wt_915

Please help me...

6. JohnWill

Forget about that USB to Ethernet connector, that will NOT solve your problem! That's just an adapter for a universal cable setup, but it doesn't convert Ethernet to be compatible with USB.

You need either a NAS box to put your disk into, or a router that supports USB connected disks, which acts as the NAS.

7. JohnWill

I've merged your threads, please do not create multiple threads on the same issue.

8. harpuneet88

Hi

Which is the best for the networking like NAS or router? Which company?

9. JohnWill

Well, I'm partial to a NAS, I have one of these that would probably do the trick for you: D-Link DNS-323. If you're interested in going upscale for more performance, I also have one of these: Synology DS209

10. harpuneet88

you want sell this to me or you mentioned this to inform me?

11. JohnWill

I'm not selling anything, just telling what works for me.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/947386