1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How: connect new laptop to my server over existing wireless

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Optiker, Feb 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Optiker

Optiker Thread Starter

I'm setting up a new Acer Predator Helios 300 laptop. My desktop computer and a file server computer are part of my local network. My old laptop was connected to my file server over my wireless network. The old laptop is no longer is in use. I want to connect my new Acer laptop to my local wireless network so I can access my file server from it. It is connected to the network to access the internet, but network drives aren't showing up in File Explorer.

How do I do that?

I'd also like to be able to access drives on my desktop computer from my laptop and vice-versa, but that's secondary. Accessing my file server is primary.
    Thanks!
    Optiker

2. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    You have to map a drive to a Network Share. Either though the GUI or via a command line

Example:
    Code:
    net use y:  \\Server_Name\Share_Name   /persistent:y

Image.jpg

3. Optiker

Optiker Thread Starter

Thanks! Command line is beyond me, and maybe even the GUI. Where would I look for the GUI? WIN10.
    Optiker

4. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
  5. Optiker

Optiker Thread Starter

Thanks!
    I'll give a try later today.
    Optiker

6. Optiker

Optiker Thread Starter

Not having much luck. Guess I'm not sufficiently experienced and it's been too many years since I've done this.

I tried following the instructions, but I get an error message saying that the connection has been terminated and I need to reconnect. Then when I get a dialog asking for my credentials, I have no idea what's needed or where to find that information.

My desktop computer is also connected to the file server. Anywhere I could look on that computer to get the needed info?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Optiker

7. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    Let's assume the Server Name is; MyServer
    The Share Name is; MyData

The UNC is; \\MyServer\MyData

If you Browse MyServer you should see MyData.

To access the share you must know the Credentials. That is a User Name and Password
    Let's say that the user name is John

For the Username you would enter; MyServer\John
    And you would apply the password "John" would use to login to MyServer if he was at that PC/Server that is sharing the data.

Your desktop "may" show hints but, it will not show what credentials were used to access the system.

If you edit the below for your information and open a Command Prompt, it will simplify the process and query you for the password.

Code:
    net use y:  \\MyServer\MyData  /user:MyServer\John    /persistent:y

it will assign the drive letter "Y:" to the share and it will be persistent. That is it will exist even if you logoff or reboot the PC and logon again.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  8. Optiker

Optiker Thread Starter

OK...I follow that.

I do know what the server name is, but, is the "Share" the name of the drive on the server?
    Looks like my main problem is to figure out what my user name and password are.

I'll have to dig around. It's been several years since I replaced my last desktop computer with the current one and went through this for the current desktop computer. At the time, I think my son may have helped me, but he wouldn't recall the password. I'm usually pretty good at documenting user names and passwords...just a matter of finding it. :)

Thanks very much. You've brought me a long way. Now I suspect it's up to me to get it done.

It's interesting...before I retired I was a scientist at a national lab, with my area of research in image processing and analysis. I recall mapping drives on the lab's network to my desktop, but totally forgot those words, "map a drive." Senior moment, or maybe just due to eleven years since I retired! :)

Thanks again!
    Optiker

9. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    Here is a Browse of my Network
    Image1.jpg

Here is a browse of server DLipman-1 showing Print and Data Shares
    Image2.jpg

To access the Data Share "data" the UNC is...
    \\dlipman-1\data

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  10. Optiker

Optiker Thread Starter

dlipman...Thanks!

I thought I found the user name and password, but apparently not.

I get to the point where it shows the computers on the server, but when I try to map a drive in the server, I get the following message:
    upload_2019-2-26_14-41-44.png
    Not sure where to go from here other than keep looking for my server user name and password.
    Thanks for the examples.
    Optiker

11. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    If you take it at Face value, access is denied because the account is already accessing its maximum. Either because this is not a Server but a Windows PC sharing data which has a maximum number of accounts able to access any the system at a time or a singular account has reached a set threshold.

I have not seen that error before. :(

12. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What OS are you running on this server?

13. Optiker

Optiker Thread Starter

dlipman...I don't know where that would be coming from, unless it's some limitation on the new laptop. There was no such problem with the previous laptop.

DaveA...It's a small Linux server OS running on an ancient Dell Dimension 4600 desktop computer.

Could it be possible that the Linux server needs to provide permission for a new computer to access it? My son set up the server, but it's been so long ago that he doesn't really recall details. I'm not much on command line operations, but could get onto the server command line and try looking for help on permissions, if that's a possibility. If it would be helpful, I could also restart it and watch the startup process to get the Linux version.

My final thought is that I might consider replacing the server with an independent external drive array...forgot what they are called - RAID box? Or, my Linksys router has a USB port that when I bought it, I understood that an external drive could be plugged into. I didn't pay much attention to it since I thought I'd never use it, but will dig out the manual and see if I might plug a USB external drive into it to replace my file server. My current file server only has a single hard drive in the computer and one USB external drive...though I have a second external USB drive that is currently not connected because it's acting up. If I can use one of those two approaches, either an independent external array or one or more (by way of a multi-USB port) external USB drive(s) connecting through my router, I'd prefer to do that and get rid of the old Dell before it dies and leaves me with nothing. I realize that the USB drive data transfer rate connection might be slow, but really don't know how that compares to the current wireless data transfer rate connection.

Comments regarding the Linux server, or the alternatives to replace the file server?

Thanks!
    Optiker

14. lunarlander

lunarlander

If the server is Linux based, and you want to access File Shares, and you are using Windows 10, then you may need to enable SMB v 1.0 which is turned off by default in Windows 10. This is due to the WannaCry ransomware which spreads like crazy over the SMB v 1.0 protocol.

Lookup WannaCry and see what you stand to loose, before enabling SMB v 1.0 .

To enable, go to Control Panel > Program and Features > Turn Windows Features on or off. Find SMB v 1.0 and checkmark it.

Then use SMB v 2 and disable SMB v 1 on Linux : https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-t...use-smbv2-and-disable-smbv1-on-linux-or-unix/

15. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    @Optiker :

If you can hang a USB Hard Disk or large Flash Drive off of a Router that has a USB Port for Network Attached Storage, then that might be the way to go. As you noted "...it's been so long ago that he doesn't really recall details". Then it is not properly maintained and it is time for it to be retired.

A RAID array or Redundant Array of Inexpensive/Independent Disks is usually an internal server construct using parity and striping to create a virtual large hard disk that has built in redundancy and fail-safe capability while providing very good read/write speeds. I take it your setup is a home Small-Office/Home-Office ( SOHO ) environment. RAID is not required. A Router provided Network Attached Storage will provide the sharing of data needed and you can remove the drive at-will from the Router and make back-ups of the drive as-needed. Assuming the IP address of the SOHO Router was 192.168.1.1 accessing it can be as easy as; \\192.168.1.1\ShareName or whatever "alias" hostname is used on the Router. Just follow the Linksys ( now CISCO ) Router's manual directions for setup and use.

I would not worry about the WannaCry ransomware worm. Be prepared and worry about ALL forms of malware and malicious activity. It's like home security. If you concentrate on locks and deadbolts on the Front Door, they'll get in through the Back Door. If you concentrate on the Front and Back Doors they'll get in through a window. Instead look at security in a holistic overarching fashion and concentrate on any/all points of ingress. Being behind a properly locked down, updated, NAT Router and applying proper security and control measures, employing anti virus software, using Critical Thought and practicing Safe Hex will go a long way to support that purpose.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223538

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice